• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PS3= Most Expensive DVD Player I've ever bought!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16ghz, 1gb Ram, 120gb Hdd|iBook- 800mhz, 512Ram, 30gb HDD
Hey Guys

Don't know how many (if any) of you have PS3's but I was just wondering your opinions of them? Here in Aus it cost me an expensive $1000 for my Console and to tell you the truth I am less than impressed.

I own a Wii and an Xbox 360 too, and the PS3 is by far the worst of the three. I have got Resistance Fall Of Man and FEAR and both games are less than average in the visuals department and I don't find them fun like Gears of War or Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Basically I paid $1000 for a Blu Ray player and DVD player, problem is Blu Rays aren't sold where I live so I need to buy online or travel to Melbourne to get them (i live an hour out of Melbourne)

Anyways just wondering if you guys had an opinion on it all? I think the PS3 will grow into an awesome machine, but right now, I'm just not satisfied. Considering the Xbox cost me $550 on launch day and the PS3 comes out a year later, double the price, I expected so much more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I followed a lot of the news leading up to the PS3's launch, and everything I read just continued to cement the fact that this console was going to suck. From bad hardware decisions to just poor marketing tactics, the PS3 was doomed to fail.

It's been 6-7 months since it was released and it's still a lackluster product. The Wii is beating it 5-to-1 and the Xbox360 is doing amazingly well. I know, people will say that the 360 has been out longer, but that console was doing pretty well 6 months in, so things are just looking bad for Sony right now.

The icing on the cake is that a good portion of PS3 exclusives are no longer going to be exclusive. Practically all the games will now be available for the Xbox360. That totally removes any incentive for people to pay more for the PS3. The only redeeming factor the PS3 had was that it was a cheap Blu-Ray player. Funny thing is that it doesn't even have that going for it anymore as a cheaper player was just released.

The only people buying the PS3 are Playstation loyalists. People who actually make a logical comparison go with the Xbox360 and/or the Wii. Sony got royally screwed this round.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I think that people who say Oh but Xbox has been out longer are just dillusional!

Yeah the Xbox has been out longer, but compare Fight Night 3 (an Xbox launch or was here in aus) to the PS3 verion (also a launch title here in aus) and Xbox wins hands down, and they've had a further year to develop it and spruce it up

And well the Wii is just PLAIN FUN! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Wii is insanely fun!! I played so much the first day that I couldn't use my arm when I woke up the next morning :p

The funny thing is that you can buy the Xbox360 and the Wii for less than the price of the PS3, and have much more fun :D

Reaction score
I have a ps3, sold my 360 and don't have a Wii (have played friends though). The wii is by far the most fun. I like my PS3. I only have Virtua Tennis, Tony Hawk Project 8, Fight Night and Tiger Woods. I think the graphics are great and it serves as a good blu ray player.

I would have kept my 360, but I had 3 that needed to be replaced. The first was free, the others cost around 140 each. After that, I sold and don't really miss it. Sure, live was great, but I was getting tired of paying so much in repairs so ditched it altogether. Don't really regret it either.

Sure PS3 is losing some exclusive titles, but that doesn't bother me either. I have fun with mine and that's all that matters. :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i have a feeling there are a LOT of people just waiting for their ps3 moment.

be it a price drop or particular game, i'm sure there are a lot of us out there waiting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Ps3 has lost a lot of exclusives, the only things really left for it are the sony titles like GT4. It's just too expensive for most people.

And don't forget that the first ports were out for about a year before they were ported over. That's also a little more time for them to work on them. The 360 has better bpu while the ps3 has a faster processor.

When it comes down to it, the ps3 isn't worth it right now, not unless you're buying it just for a blu ray player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I own a Wii and an Xbox 360 too, and the PS3 is by far the worst of the three. I have got Resistance Fall Of Man and FEAR and both games are less than average in the visuals department and I don't find them fun like Gears of War or Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Basically I paid $1000 for a Blu Ray player and DVD player, problem is Blu Rays aren't sold where I live so I need to buy online or travel to Melbourne to get them (i live an hour out of Melbourne)

Anyways just wondering if you guys had an opinion on it all? I think the PS3 will grow into an awesome machine, but right now, I'm just not satisfied. Considering the Xbox cost me $550 on launch day and the PS3 comes out a year later, double the price, I expected so much more

You're using the HD cable right?

FEAR is a cracking game, but a PC port from a couple of years ago, so it won't look completely amazing in HD.
You seem to be dissatisfied with your two games rather than the console itself.
It takes time for good games to filter through - the days of knocking out a game in 6 months are long gone.

I'm not sure why people pay full whack for a brand new console with little in the amount of games!

I also don't get the 360 either - it's an ugly machine which is just a PC in a box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You're using the HD cable right?

FEAR is a cracking game, but a PC port from a couple of years ago, so it won't look completely amazing in HD.
You seem to be dissatisfied with your two games rather than the console itself.
It takes time for good games to filter through - the days of knocking out a game in 6 months are long gone.

I'm not sure why people pay full whack for a brand new console with little in the amount of games!

I also don't get the 360 either - it's an ugly machine which is just a PC in a box!

Kind of reminds me of a mac, being white and all.

The ps3 is essentially the same. Processor, gpu, hard drive...three of the main componenets that make up a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I heard there is an issue with PS3 game programming that makes them exceedingly harder and more costly to make. As a result, PS3 is losing potential games and exclusives that the 360 is gaining. Also, the backwards compatibility is supposed to be horrible. Users who want to play PS2 games are better off just keeping their old PS2 consoles. I also heard that even though PS3 has a faster processor, most games don't really fully utilize it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I heard there is an issue with PS3 game programming that makes them exceedingly harder and more costly to make. As a result, PS3 is losing potential games and exclusives that the 360 is gaining. Also, the backwards compatibility is supposed to be horrible. Users who want to play PS2 games are better off just keeping their old PS2 consoles. I also heard that even though PS3 has a faster processor, most games don't really fully utilize it anyway.

a lot of the lost exclusives have to do with the fact that if you offer a game on every console, you'll sell a lot more copies and make more money rather than only offering it on one console and calling it an exclusive. The only people exclusives help out are the console manufactures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

That is a bit exaggerated. I have had no problems playing any of my old PS2 games on my PS3.

Regardless, there are no good games out for the PS3 and there won't be until September. I will wait till then before I deliver final judgement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
The new george forman lean mean fat reducing grilling machine
LOVE IT
VIdeo

console is about the same as the 360 in graphics i believe
but new games are coming out
and after experiencing both in HD im loving it :p

should get one this year
but i already have a 360 so im undecicive :p

Reaction score
Ninja Gaiden looks good and it's coming out next month.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I also heard that even though PS3 has a faster processor, most games don't really fully utilize it anyway.

no gaming machine in the history of video games has fully utilized the cpu/graphics/etc of the machine within the first year or two. so this wouldn't be surprising at all, especially in the ps3. i'd be surprised if xbox360 game developers were really hitting the bleeding edge yet either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
eric, I can't confirm it but in CPU terms I have been told that we are already pushing the 360 with games like Gears of War - I don't think its 100% true, but still

The PS3 is an amazing system but as already mentioned in the thread it has very hard to program for - I think its 7 cores which each do a special task compared to the 360 which has mutli purpose/more general cores

I don't see the PS3's surface even being scratched for another 3 years or so (Ironic because its case is easy to scratch, like many macs)

It is expensive, cheap for what you are getting but if you don't have the money you won't be buying one, of course!

I hope it can hold out, I see it as being more artistic than the Wii (In the future) but thats just my personal take

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes guys I am aware that the PS3 won't reach it's potential for another year or two, and no I am not disatisfied with just two games, every demo I've played looks crap and plays nasty, Ninja Gaiden is an exemption from this, but even that doesn't make me think WOW I NEED THIS CONSOLE. The menu system is nasty, online play downright sucks and don't get me started on the backwards compatibility. Ratchen and Clank 3 didn't work, then with the firmware update it does, but runs slower than Doom 3 on a 486 lol! MetalGear Solid (my favourite game) 3 doesn't work, and neither does number 2 apparently. Let's just say I'm not happy with the console as a whole and they really need to pick up their game

Hopefully they release some good games, and firmware updates to make the menu system a bit better before the end of the year to save it

And yes, I am running it through a HDMI cable to my 110cm Plasma :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I think the PS3 is just receiving a lot of negative press because people either expect too much out of the software (games), or expect too much out of the sales. Sure there might not be many games out for the PS3, but I was seriously thinking about selling my 360 since I bought it during launch, until Rainbow 6 Vegas came out. That game didn't come out until like half a year or so since the 360 launched.
As for poor sales, I think that is just the press trying to kick Sony down. I read an article in the June 2007 issue of GameInformer magazine.
"According to NPD Group data, the PS3 sold approximately 902,000 consoles during its first three months on the market in the US. The Xbox 360 sold 50,000 fewer consoles during its first three months in the US, coming in at roughly 854,000. Comparing the PS3 with its highly successful predecessors, it outsold both the PSone and PS2 during the same time frame."
Of course some might argue that those numbers also reflect PS3's bought only to be resold on ebay, but the same goes for the 360.
Now I'm not a Sony fanboy or loyalist, nor am I a Xbox/Microsoft fanboy or loyalist. Its just that personally, I don't think the PS3 is in the 'fall' when it has strong sales numbers despite its hefty price tag, and even now it is still steadily selling. And yeah, there might not be many flagship titles for the PS3, but the 360 was exactly the same way. And I didn't start to truly enjoy my 360 until about half a year later from when I got it.
As for all the problems people are facing with the PS3, my Xbox 360 freezes up on me once in a while due to heat. Even with an intercooler it happens now and again. I also read many were experiencing their 360's burning and scratching discs, over heating, not responding etc. And not to mention, the 360 sounds like my iMac G5, a loud hair dryer.
I guess we'll find out how successful these systems really are, down the road. Personally, I believe all three will be around for some time, and none of these systems are destined or doomed to failure.
As for the Wii, i played the Wii sports Tennis game with 3 other people... just awesomeness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.