linksys and apple ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
just a couple quick questions maybe you guys used to apple might be able to help me out. i just made the switch from pc to a macbook. ive noticed alot when i connect to my parents linksys router it willl work for like 5 mins then shut off. but when i direct connect to the modem everything runs fine.

anyone have any suggestions ?:\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
just a couple quick questions maybe you guys used to apple might be able to help me out. i just made the switch from pc to a macbook. ive noticed alot when i connect to my parents linksys router it willl work for like 5 mins then shut off. but when i direct connect to the modem everything runs fine.

anyone have any suggestions ?:\

What Linksys model is it? What Encryption you using for the Wifi? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
where can i check what encyrption im using ?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
im new to how to work an apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Open Internet Connect (Macintosh HD > Applications), click AirPort at the top, If there is a button that says "Turn AirPort On" click it, if not then from the Network drop down menu select the name of the network. If a message comes up asking for encryption information enter it.

If you keep getting disconnected once connected I suggest restarting the router.

Also, how far away are you from the router? It could be that you are too far away for the signal to reach you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
the router is directly above my computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who set up the router? On a Linksys you plug directly into the router and open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1. The default password is admin unless it's been changed. Go to the Wireless Tab and security and see what it's using. If it's WEP see if it's HEX 128-Bit or 64-Bit or ascii and get back to us. If it's WPA or WPA2 let us know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Who set up the router? On a Linksys you plug directly into the router and open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.1. The default password is admin unless it's been changed. Go to the Wireless Tab and security and see what it's using. If it's WEP see if it's 128-Bit or 64-Bit or ascii and get back to us. If it's WPA or WPA2 let us know.

Agreed - and also make sure that SSID broadcast is enabled.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
im connnected right now wirelessly.

it will prolly cut off tho.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GB MacBook
yeah it'll let me connect wirelessly but then after awhile it will juss boot me off.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I have a linksys router and three computers, one desktop physically connected to the internet with Windows 98, one XP-using wireless laptop, and now a basic Macbook that I got last week. For some reason, though the Mac connects easily, it causes the whole system to crash, usually within 30-45 minutes. I then have to reset linksys, a process that takes maybe 5 minutes, but the system will crash again. The same thing happened when a friend of mine came over and tried to connect with his mac--the whole system crashes after 30 minutes. The linksys tech support people don't seem to know what's causing this. What could it be?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the exact same problem. I have a linksys router and three computers, one desktop physically connected to the internet with Windows 98, one XP-using wireless laptop, and now a basic Macbook that I got last week. For some reason, though the Mac connects easily, it causes the whole system to crash, usually within 30-45 minutes. I then have to reset linksys, a process that takes maybe 5 minutes, but the system will crash again. The same thing happened when a friend of mine came over and tried to connect with his mac--the whole system crashes after 30 minutes. The linksys tech support people don't seem to know what's causing this. What could it be?

Are you using the latest firmware? What model is it?

Reaction score
It's model WRT54G. I believe that upgrading the firmware was something that the tech support folks had me do (if firmware can indeed be upgraded online).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's model WRT54G. I believe that upgrading the firmware was something that the tech support folks had me do (if firmware can indeed be upgraded online).

There are many models of the WRT54G, look on the bottom. Usually it will be a WRT54GS (or WRT54GL) and a version number. The firmware is downloaded from the Linksys website and then uploaded to the router via the router's web interface.

Firmware changes frequently - so if it's been a while, you may need to do it again.

Reaction score
WRT54G is all it says on the bottom, along with "version 6." My firmware should be up to date, since linksys' tech support had me update it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.