• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ichat & Aim Firewall issues.. HELP!

V

velvetwhisper

I am a PC user, but my friend is a Mac user. We seem to have an issue with firewalls while camming. This is the issue:

We turn on our cams and he hits my firewall constantly using 2 consecutive ports repeatedly. When this started April 8th, it was 3 hits per minute. We both formatted and now he hits me 24 times per MILLISECOND. My firewall log from yesterday is 50 MEGS. Its all him too.

I know I was hacked previously, he may have been.. but due to the fact there isn't much for trojan scanners etc for the Mac we couldn't find anything on his computer. If we stop camming and turn it back on right away, then its different ports again everytime. But he will always do 2 consecutive ports.

Anyone have any ideas? Does this seem like an outside source or is it a conflict with my AIM or his Ichat? Anything would be helpful at this point. :confused:

OP
V

velvetwhisper

I just found out this happens even when i connect to another user who has a PC and the same version of aim (5.5) it happens, just not as intensly. It never happened before tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I don't really like to ask, but what firewall are you using? When I used pc/doz, I used Zonealarm and any connection that I knew like a friends cam wanted to come through I would let after the promt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
To use iChat AV behind a firewall, make sure your network administrator has opened UDP port 5060.
When video conferencing, iChat AV uses four UDP ports in this range: 16384 to 16403.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
If you've enabled your FIREWALL on the Mac side, then be sure to CHECK the rule that says "iChat...." this will allow the iChat ports to be open.

If there isn't one, then go into your SYSTEM PREFF.. you can setup a new rule... under Sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.