Recommend a KVM switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Hi Everyone,

I have a 20" iMac and a Dell laptop with a 20" flat panel monitor sitting on my desk. Each has it's own wireless Logitech mouse. I'm using the corded Mac keyboard on the laptop and the wireless version on the iMac.

I need a KVM switch. I guess I can use the corded Mac keyboard and one of the wireless mice. Are there KVM switches that would allow me to use a wireless mouse? Would this cause issues on boot up?

Anyone got a recommendation?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi Everyone,

I have a 20" iMac and a Dell laptop with a 20" flat panel monitor sitting on my desk. Each has it's own wireless Logitech mouse. I'm using the corded Mac keyboard on the laptop and the wireless version on the iMac.

I need a KVM switch. I guess I can use the corded Mac keyboard and one of the wireless mice. Are there KVM switches that would allow me to use a wireless mouse? Would this cause issues on boot up?

Anyone got a recommendation?

cheers

What kind of wireless? USB dongle? Blue tooth? if it's a usb dongle, you can get a usb KVM. Just don't buy an insanely cheap one. They usually don't hold up to well. Most of the real cheap ones we order for work usually end up dying on us.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
My mice aren't Bluetooth and use a USB dongle.

thanks.

What kind of wireless? USB dongle? Blue tooth? if it's a usb dongle, you can get a usb KVM. Just don't buy an insanely cheap one. They usually don't hold up to well. Most of the real cheap ones we order for work usually end up dying on us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
ItsMeDave,

If you want to save yourself some money and don't need to change monitors, try downloading Synergy. It's software that allows you to switch mouse and keyboard control back and forth between multiple computers quickly and easily.

I believe it's on SourceForge.net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
ItsMeDave,

If you want to save yourself some money and don't need to change monitors, try downloading Synergy. It's software that allows you to switch mouse and keyboard control back and forth between multiple computers quickly and easily.

I believe it's on SourceForge.net.

I'll second Synergy. No reason to get a KVM. Just setup Synergy to share your keyboard and mouse and then enable file & print sharing if you want to transfer files between the two and share a printer or whatever. Synergy is here:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'll second Synergy. No reason to get a KVM. Just setup Synergy to share your keyboard and mouse and then enable file & print sharing if you want to transfer files between the two and share a printer or whatever. Synergy is here:

The problem I see with synergy is that two monitors are required. Space limitations and having two quality monitors could be a hinderance to Synergy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G

So let me get this straight (somewhat clueless here)... On my desk I have a MB, a Dell laptop (work box) and 2 monitors. I can plug my wireless desk set (mouse and KB) into the MB and still run the Dell with that setup? If so, that would be wonderful, as plugging the wireless setup into a KVM causes my signal to be really weak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I've got this guy, and despite the mediocre reviews, I've had no troubles with mine (I switch between a Mac Mini and a Dell Latitude D600 using a Mighty Mouse and a Microsoft Office Keyboard and a Dell 20" monitor).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G
So let me get this straight (somewhat clueless here)... On my desk I have a MB, a Dell laptop (work box) and 2 monitors. I can plug my wireless desk set (mouse and KB) into the MB and still run the Dell with that setup? If so, that would be wonderful, as plugging the wireless setup into a KVM causes my signal to be really weak.

nothing, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I don't know if you are still looking or not but I got this switch awhile back and it works great. I have a wireless usb mouse too and just plugged the "dongle" into the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.