Can't connect using safari or firefox but can with Adium...HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel iMac 20" monitor, OS X 10.4
Hey, I recently got a iMac G5 with a 20" monitor (I bought it myself after saving up :D yay) and for the first couple of weeks, it worked fine, but in the past week, I cannot connect to the internet using any web browser, even when I dual boot to windows (If only the Sims 2 for PC was compatible with OS X) but it says I'm connectedto the internet. However, when I try to go on an instant messaging client, such as Adium or MSN, I can chat to my friends and everything. I have tried everything I can think of, even reinstalling OS X, so any help would be appreciated soon. I have been a windows user all my (short) life and have programmed in it since the tender age of 10 :D and still do, if only to help with my aspiration to become a game programmer (on the way), and I need the internet to supply me with new hacks (to change windows) and tips (to show up my teachers in VB). Oh, and by the way, it is a netgear router if that helps, and my dad (the administrator of the network) is running Vista.
Also, my brother can't get online at all and my Mum couldn't.

-----edit-----
The error message I get is 'Safari cannot connect to the page "livepage.apple.com" because it cannot connect to the serve "livepage.apple.com"'

Yours confuzzledly, Richard

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, no, wait...It's a intel iMac...sorry :Smirk:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Power Cycle your network setup.

Agreed. Something seems wrong on the Network end, Router, Modem, since Adium will connect.

How are you connected to the Internet? What Modem, Router and ISP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I've had that happen to me where it seems like the internet goes down but I am still connected to gtalk. A power cycle solves the problem

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay!

Thanks dudes!!! My dad can't do it today, but he will tomorow and we shall see :D...The I might be able to get guitar tabs without moving to a different room on a whim :D
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and trpnmonkey41...Nice pic!!!
Gotta go and program now!!! :D

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed. Something seems wrong on the Network end, Router, Modem, since Adium will connect.

How are you connected to the Internet? What Modem, Router and ISP?

It's ADSL, the Router is NETGEAR, and my ISP is AOL
SO MANY CAPITALISED ABBREVIATIONS!!!!!
so, it's the DYE with the SHFHWFE and the VDFEYNFYKJSBFGHFN, synergising with the GVBEKEVRFYJNNFYWKMDNHEURJNVCGUFNTUEUFJDJHVYETNGUGHYUGHYEYF
:Evil:
MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

INTRODUCING...THE iRack!!!!!!!

OP
Mr Blue Sky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the help!!!
My dad realised it was to do with the router so he mucked around with it, and it worked

YAY!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

quadruple post? never seen that before...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.