• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

FINALLY: A Faster Processor, Not More Cores

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Investors Business Daily reported today that IBM has announced the next generation of the PowerPC chip, to go on sale next month. Reading it makes me wish that Apple had kept a dual stream open, sourcing both Intel and PowerPC machines...

The new Power6 runs at 4.7 GHz and yet uses less power than its predecessor (which I assume to be the G5). Since Apple was the last desktop manufacturer using the PowerPC architecture, the new chip is targetted at the server market.

4.7 GHz! I could use one of those! More cores only help if the software is written specifically for that, and even then, there are some things that just need more brute strength to make them go any faster. Not every problem can be solved by multi threading. Lets hope that Intel can figure out how to break the 3.x GHz barrier sometime soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Investors Business Daily reported today that IBM has announced the next generation of the PowerPC chip, to go on sale next month. Reading it makes me wish that Apple had kept a dual stream open, sourcing both Intel and PowerPC machines...

The new Power6 runs at 4.7 GHz and yet uses less power than its predecessor (which I assume to be the G5). Since Apple was the last desktop manufacturer using the PowerPC architecture, the new chip is targetted at the server market.

4.7 GHz! I could use one of those! More cores only help if the software is written specifically for that, and even then, there are some things that just need more brute strength to make them go any faster. Not every problem can be solved by multi threading. Lets hope that Intel can figure out how to break the 3.x GHz barrier sometime soon!

You should know that GHz is just a number anymore. A 4ghz P4 can't touch any of the new core2 chips that run at half the speed. It's more than cores they're adding, it's faster FSB's and l2 caches, things that are more important that how many cycles a chip moves in a second.

Intel has already put out specs for their next generations of chips. They look to be much faster than the c2d chips out now.

There was an article a while back before Apple went Intel. It was a mock up of a G5 PowerBook. The base was about 1.5" thick, not including the screen because of the size of the chip and the heating issues in such a small case. Bigger numbers are not always better numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
this isn't a consumer grade processor. The only known machines that will use it go on sale starting at 60,000 in june

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Peace. I have no issue with the "megahertz myth". However, if for example I look at a current C2D device, and leaving all else equal, if I could make the part run faster while using less power, I would have a faster Mac.

I agree that this is not a consumer part. I am simply pleased to see that we are finally seeing CPUs that are breaking into the 4.0 GHz space. I am eager to see Macs that run faster than 4.0 GHz!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I can understand the need for a faster processor for professionals that need the extra speed, such as audio/video/photo editing. But those people DO benefit from multiple cores because their programs are multi-threaded.

The average consumer doesn't need a 4GHz processor as the average needs are easily met by the hardware currently available. What a consumer needs is either hybrid hard drives or solid state memory hard drives, simply because that will remove the final barrier to exponentially increasing battery life and reducing heat. It is also the one part slowing the computer down. If you could speed up hard drive access times, performance will shoot through the roof. A 4GHz processor can't touch that kind of performance increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Any 4Ghz chip is going to need a fridge strapped to it for some time to come. I'm happier with them concentrating on efficient chips, more cores, and multi-core-optimised OS'es and apps. The Ghz race was a pointless exercise, IMO, and probably set processors back a few years while they tried to get more and more clock speed. With the bottlenecks of system bus, memory and hard disk I wonder what speed increase a 4Ghz Mac would display? If it takes 10 seconds to load an app form the hard disk, then a 4Ghz processor isn't going to make that much faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.