router quandry

S

simianspaceman

I am setting up a small film edting workstation for my wrok in film school. I have botha PC (AMD 3000+, soyo dragon ultra motherboard) and a Mac (dual 1 ghz G4) I am looking to share data beteween the two machines, as well as share an internet connection. I have read the linksys specifications and they are not compatible with the mac os. Does anyone have any sugestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can use linksys routers.....i am on an airport connection through a linksys router and it works fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep same with me, I have a linksys router and it works beautifully.. wait.. sorry no my linksys router is connected to my modem which is connected in the front room.. then in my home office room I have a netgear wirless router.. and it works beautifully :)

OP
E

ezinn

I'm new to macs in general, but familiar with PC's, I just sent a private message to Murlyn but will post this anyhow.
I just bought an Emac 1.25Ghz with 768 ram and Airport Extreme card. I plugged it in and everything works fine except I can't perform a software update, I get an error message "Software Update cannot connect to the update server" I can surf the web and send and receive email.

My PC is connected with a Netgear MR814V2 wireless router.
Apple has been unable to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
ezinn said:
I'm new to macs in general, but familiar with PC's, I just sent a private message to Murlyn but will post this anyhow.
I just bought an Emac 1.25Ghz with 768 ram and Airport Extreme card. I plugged it in and everything works fine except I can't perform a software update, I get an error message "Software Update cannot connect to the update server" I can surf the web and send and receive email.

My PC is connected with a Netgear MR814V2 wireless router.
Apple has been unable to help.

Does anything here help?:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106695

OP
E

ezinn

Padawan said:
No as mentioned I can surf the web and send and receive email. I think after talking to apple my netgear router is blocking the port for software update, although the HTTP port 80 is obviously working if I can surf the web.
I don't understand the difference between going to the apple web page to get a software update and running software update from my Emac in system preferences.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

you can try to lower your MTU setting if you can find that in your router...sometimes that setting will block you from seing certain websites..by standard it should be 1492 but dropping it in increments of 10 will let you see where the perfect value is. i had to do this to access my banks website.

OP
B

BillSkinzFifth

I'm not sure why the Linksys router would say that it is not compatable with the Mac OS... I'm running a home network with 3 PCs and 2 Macs (a G4 and an iMac) just fine through a Linksys 4 port router switch (wired not wireless).
Apparently the newer versions of OSX can supposedly transfer files between platforms, but I don't like and don't use OSX. If you are like me and use OS 9.1 and if you want to share files between your Macs and PCs, the cheap, easy and most hassle free way that I have discovered has been to use a program called Hotline. It's a pier to pier FTP program that used to be popular for file sharing (similar to Kazaa).
You just set one computer to run the server software, doesn't matter which one - I use my Mac G4 as the server, and the PC's can connect to a shared folder via your network. Of course the Macs can just transfer directly between them via file sharing as well as can the PCs. You only need to use Hotline when going between platforms, but it's as easy as dragging and dropping. You drag a file from your PC into the shared folder and it FTPs right to the Mac or vice versa.
The only hitch is that I have heard to use Hotline version 1.8.4, not any of the more recent releases because they loaded the more recent versions with spyware (again, similar to Kazaa).
You will need to DL Hotline client for both Mac and PC and Hotline Server for 1 or both platforms. I actually have the server and client on all machines, but as I stated earlier, I really only run my server on just the Mac G4.
You will have to do a bit of searching to find the software because I believe that the parent company, BigRedH is now defunct, but you should still be able to get it. If not, I have it and can e-mail it if you would like.
If you decide to go this route and are having trouble, feel free to ask questions. :D

jEFf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.