• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any Videographers here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
To those of you who have your own business filming weddings and corporate events; I would appreciate any advice on getting started, what to charge, the upsides and downfalls etc..

I plan to start a business in the UK.

Regards

Cr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I know a couple of people who do that type of stuff. One of the most important things in this type of business is communication. Especially if you're going to be doing weddings. You have to make sure with the wedding planners where you're allowed to go, how to shoot, etc etc.
As for price, I can't help you there. However some people charge hourly whereas some charge a lump fee, and I know a guy who charges the price that equals the value of his camera (just in case it gets damaged). I guess it all depends on how many cameras/camera operators your gonna have, the type of equipment you're going to be using, whether or not if your gonna hire an editor, and how many dvd's your going to be making.

Hope that helps.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Thanks L7 - and is videography limited to weddings? I guess doing music promo vids for unsigned bands/singers would be another option but I can't see there being much money in it.

I have heard coporate events mentioned, what kind of stuff? ..And do you need a licence to set up business, does it have to be legally registered or do you just print a load of business cards and away you go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
my advice on getting started, is to get to know your video camera very well, practice on how to hold it still even when zooming, dont shoot against the light. its all about practice, practice and more practice. i can go on and on. you really have to make it as your hobby first in order to be in this kind of business. videography is a never ending learning experience.

Reaction score
I have heard coporate events mentioned, what kind of stuff? ..And do you need a licence to set up business, does it have to be legally registered or do you just print a load of business cards and away you go?

The company I work for does a/v for many corporate events. We setup all audio, lighting, and video for many conventions like Novell Brainshare, Ernst & Young, ect. Can't say there is any actual videography, but if your interested in learning the broadcast side or just like to run camera it is a great job. Although some clients hire outside video company to do some happy face/highlight reel, unfortunately there are very few that I've seen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.