disappointing network speed

Reaction score
I've just installed a LaCie Ethernet disk mini (500 GB) to my router (Zyxel Prestige 600 series, applying to the g standard). The router makes a WIRELESS connection to my MacBook (2006 version , Airport g standard as well) via a airport express base station. So far so good and everything works properly.

I'm a bit disappointed about the achieved network speed: copying a 1.1 Mb jpeg file to the external disk takes more than a minute. It will take days to make a backup of my harddisk.:(

Is this normal?
Does it make sense to upgrade my MacBook to the n standard and to change the airport express base station for an extreme version?

OP
T
Reaction score
.....and I forgot to mention that it's a fast ethernet hard disk and the macBook is situated two arm lengths from the airport express base station without any walls or floors....

OP
T
Reaction score
Has anyone come to an answer to my question yet? Some of you should know....please help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.