Can I use ANY router?

Reaction score
I need to get a router for my parents who just got a mac mini and an imac. Do I need to get a router that is mac specific or will one that says "System requirements Windows 98 or later" work? On my Windows PC the router I got didn't need any software, I just hooked it up. I am wondering if I can just get any router?

I do not want a wireless router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yep any router will work fine

OP
M
Reaction score
You guys are really FAST! Thanks. I'll head out to Best Buy/ COMP USA tomorrow. Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Any router should work just fine. Unless you happen to get a bad one and need to talk to Linksys for anything - their tech support supervisors claim that Linksys only works in Windows. Which we all know is a B*.

Just had this conversation with them last week. So, replaced it with a D-link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 core2duo 2.16 2gb
nop,, some SMC routers wont work if the the macs are intel based, im suffering with an SMC piece of **** now, a linksys would be a good choice though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You guys are really FAST! Thanks. I'll head out to Best Buy/ COMP USA tomorrow. Thanks!
Great! We do try to be prompt with replies around here when we can.

And just so you know, using the Search Feature is even faster! That way, you don't even have to wait for a reply, cus you find the answer before you even have to post!. :D
:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
nop,, some SMC routers wont work if the the macs are intel based, im suffering with an SMC piece of **** now, a linksys would be a good choice though

If it's routing TCP/IP over 10/100/1000 Ethernet, it will work regardless of the brand, unless you're talking about wireless. The only thing preventing any modern, consumer-grade router from working would either be defective hardware or cabling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.