• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do anti-smoking ads work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
This is an image from British government anti-smoking posters featuring men and women with fish hooks through their mouths. The ads attracted one of the highest numbers of complaints the advertising standards watchdog has ever received.

2007_05_16t091515_450x326_us_britain_advert.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In my opinion, "anti" ads of any kind rarely work. They tend to do quite the opposite of their intended purpost. They put so much attention on the 'negative' subject, that they end up attracting people to it rather than deter them from it.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Smoking is down from a few years back, I believe. But, I cannot put my finger on any specific reason, other than trying to be healthy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
if people want to smoke ads aren't going to stop them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It is also up for debate on whether or not smoking is actually down or not.
At least in the case with Teen smoking, anyway.
How do they determine if teen smoking is up or down?
They conduct surveys. These surveys are carried out both over the phone or even door to door. Teens are not as likely to be truthful on these surveys if Mom or Dad are in the next room. This is going to seriously skew the numbers.

Another thing to consider is that young people today are smoking only once in a while, in social situations, and not so much on a pack-a-day basis.
Therefore they don't tend to see themselves as "smokers" and don't report themselves that way when asked in a survey.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can honestly say they never impacted my decision to smoke. I really loved smoking. The only thing that ever had any impact on me was the birth of my child and knowing that I wanted to live to see him grow up - and that he was counting on me.

Quitting smoking was absolutely one of the hardest things I've ever had to do - and my heart goes out to anyone that really wants to but can't. It's not the chemical addiction that makes it difficult as much as it is the physical habit. When I quit, I simply stopped seeing my friends that I used to hang around with out at the smoker's area at work. I became a more productive employee because my day didn't revolve around breaking to smoke a cigarette. In short, my whole world had to change. I associated smoking with getting up in the morning, driving, after meals, relaxing out on my deck in the evening and any time I had an adult beverage.

To be honest, the cravings still haven't gone away, only the frequency has diminished - and it's been two years. I see that cigarettes are now almost $5/pack in my area, but I don't believe the costs would be a deterrent. So, to sum it up, no, silly ads and billboards do absolutely nothing. You have to really WANT to quit in order to be successful. Anything less than a total commitment to cessation on the part of the smoker is going to result in failure.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I quit, because my husband was not happy about the stench from the smoke. He has never tried even once in his life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
No, they're put out by the cigarette companies.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are from the Canadian Health Authorities.

tab1a_e.jpg

tab2a_e.jpg

tab5a_e.jpg

tab6a_e.jpg

tab7a_e.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The ones that get me the most are the "truth" ads you see here in the US. I've never seen such an asinine ad campaign in my life.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ones that get me the most are the "truth" ads you see here in the US. I've never seen such an asinine ad campaign in my life.

Which ones are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you look at most advertising campaigns, you wonder how they manage to work. Occasionally, there's a funny or innovative one, but usually they just leave me going, "Huh?"

Somehow, though, they do, enough that companies spend millions on them. So who knows how effective they really are.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you look at most advertising campaigns, you wonder how they manage to work. Occasionally, there's a funny or innovative one, but usually they just leave me going, "Huh?"

Somehow, though, they do, enough that companies spend millions on them. So who knows how effective they really are.

I aggree. Then, there are those "statistics".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
This is the supidest anti smoking ad I've ever seen:
attachment.php

"More than half of premature deaths in smokers is due to tobacco use" well no duh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
why is that stupid? Children idolize their parents and antw to do what they do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
why is that stupid? Children idolize their parents and antw to do what they do.
That part is true, but the sentence I am sort of quoting is so redundant it's stupid and makes me laugh more than anything.

OP
johntalin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is to educate kids.
Still today, I truly enjoy the pipe tobacco smell, because my father used to smoke a pipe (no drugs).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.