Gaming on a MacBook with BootCamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
I know this should be in the bootcamp forum, so that is where I am putting it!

I want to get the new white macbook 2.0 ghz 2 gig ram and it has intel gma 950 graphics.

Does anyone know if this would be able to run lord of the rings online? Im currently running it on a fairly low spec PC laptop and have it on medium settings but the only thing holding me back is if it would run on GMA 950 no sites i can find have any information at all! The official game site says they didnt test it on laptops at all so they offer no advice! My black macbook runs WoW fine but this is a different kettle of fish! I know if i want to game on a mac i should get a Pro but frankly its double the price and thats just not in my budget at all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
So according to this if you're running windows it's a definite "maybe". The GMA 950 has the requisite 64MB of RAM, and the processor speed of a Macbook is 2.0Ghz, so perhaps.

Mine runs Unreal Tournament 2004 okay, but UT2K has a Mac version so I don't run it with bootcamp. It's also a three year old game, so who knows?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
So according to this if you're running windows it's a definite "maybe". The GMA 950 has the requisite 64MB of RAM, and the processor speed of a Macbook is 2.0Ghz, so perhaps.

Mine runs Unreal Tournament 2004 okay, but UT2K has a Mac version so I don't run it with bootcamp. It's also a three year old game, so who knows?

Yep! i have read about everything there is to read about and all i can come up with is a maybe! Id really like a macbook and hope this would run but im struggling to find anyone at all who is playing on a macbook, plenty macbook pros plenty ancient PCs but no one on a macbook!

Reaction score
Is it true that when running windows through Bootcamp, the Macbook's graphics can actually use up to 220 mb of ram?

If it is I don't think it would be a problem to run LOTR online.

But someone confirm. I read it somehwere here on the forum.

Also if it is true, can you say whether it does this by default or if you have to tweak some setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
The Intel GMA 950 has a RAM of 64 MB however Windows via BootCamp recognizes it as 220 MB of shared memory, so there is a chance. I managed to run Scions of Fate and World of Warcraft on my Macbook 2.0 .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I believe lord of the rings is more graphics intensive than WOW. You may be able to run it, I just wouldn't want to have to deal with the lag and the crappy settings you're probably going to have to put up with.

Even if a card has 220mb with shared memory, it doesn't mean that it's going to be any where near as fast as a dedicated gpu in the mbp with only 128mb. It has to do with memory speed and processor speed and everything else.

The macbook just wasn't made for getting the most out of 3d games.

Reaction score
So how about running Oblivion and all it's expansions on a Macbook 2.0ghz 2gb ram with bootcamp.

Would that just be completely unfeasible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2gb RAM, 200gb HDD, 2.0ghz CPU
My BF has the same macbook and it runs fine on his, and on the highest settings, so it should be fine.

ive just also ordered the same macbook and i intend to put every highend game i can on it xD (im an avid gamer). so i'll get back to you if my mac doesnt overload ;)

Reaction score
My BF has the same macbook and it runs fine on his, and on the highest settings, so it should be fine.

ive just also ordered the same macbook and i intend to put every highend game i can on it xD (im an avid gamer). so i'll get back to you if my mac doesnt overload ;)

We're you responding to the original poster about LOTR online or about Oblivion? Just wanting to make sure :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So how about running Oblivion and all it's expansions on a Macbook 2.0ghz 2gb ram with bootcamp.

Would that just be completely unfeasible?

Probably wouldn't run very well at all. Oblivion is pretty much the standard to test how good your graphics card is. Some of the higher end cards would still have slow down and lag when trying to run it at the highest level because of all the power it takes to run this game. Trying to run oblivion on an integrated graphics card will probably just end up making you angry in the long run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Probably wouldn't run very well at all. Oblivion is pretty much the standard to test how good your graphics card is. Some of the higher end cards would still have slow down and lag when trying to run it at the highest level because of all the power it takes to run this game. Trying to run oblivion on an integrated graphics card will probably just end up making you angry in the long run.

My buddy runs oblivion and its amazing. Smooth, looks good and tastey. He has the 15-inch and all I kept thinking is "I need to figure out how to steal this"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My buddy runs oblivion and its amazing. Smooth, looks good and tastey. He has the 15-inch and all I kept thinking is "I need to figure out how to steal this"

what settings? I run an older mmo and I get lag when there's too much on the screen with my 15" mbp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't get it.

You say you have a black macbook (which is identical to the white macbook), but you want to know how Lotro will run on the white macbook?

Exactly the same as it will run on the black Macbook.

I know this should be in the bootcamp forum, so that is where I am putting it!

I want to get the new white macbook 2.0 ghz 2 gig ram and it has intel gma 950 graphics.

Does anyone know if this would be able to run lord of the rings online? Im currently running it on a fairly low spec PC laptop and have it on medium settings but the only thing holding me back is if it would run on GMA 950 no sites i can find have any information at all! The official game site says they didnt test it on laptops at all so they offer no advice! My black macbook runs WoW fine but this is a different kettle of fish! I know if i want to game on a mac i should get a Pro but frankly its double the price and thats just not in my budget at all!

Reaction score
Ok you need a reply I have a 2.0 ghz intel core 2 1GB, I run LOTRO on XP on my mac it works beautifully so no worries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
what settings? I run an older mmo and I get lag when there's too much on the screen with my 15" mbp

I'll find out later today when I see him and post them up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ok you need a reply I have a 2.0 ghz intel core 2 1GB, I run LOTRO on XP on my mac it works beautifully so no worries

Well, there's an answer from someone running it on the MacBook.
I found this review from gameguru. While I could not find this on LOTR site, they are listing official support for both the 900 and 950 chipsets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.