Airport Extreme Sluggish?

W

wickedbusa

I noticed that my Airport extreme is a little slow when downloading pages. Sometimes the delay is not too bad, but sometimes pages take forever to load. When I'm plugged in via ethernet, the web FLIES. Anyone know if this is normal? This computer is all new to me.

OP
T

TylerMoney

it might not be your airport...empty history and cache...see what happens..could be safari...if not...it shouldn't be sluggish like that.

OP
V

vuschejan

Ethernet runs at a speed much faster than a wireless network would...
i belive it goes like this:

100 Mbps (Megabytes per second) via ethernet
54 Mbps(Megabytes per second) via Airport extreme card

OP
W

wickedbusa

I understand that ethernet is supposed to be faster than wireless, but on my previous laptop, web pages would almost pop up instantly. Is browsing on a little slower than on a PC?

OP
V

vuschejan

Hey, wickedbusa, does your pc have a lot of files on it and what OS is it using?

OP
V

vuschejan

Oh disregard that post read yours wrong.

Im not sure... might want to wait until someone more experienced with wireless networks sees your post, Im more of a wired LAN guy

OP
T

TylerMoney

alls I know, is I can't tell a defference from my powerbook using wireless, and my pc using ethernet for day to day things..it shouldn't be sluggish enough to notice like that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
vuschejan said:
Ethernet runs at a speed much faster than a wireless network would...
i belive it goes like this:

100 Mbps (Megabytes per second) via ethernet
54 Mbps(Megabytes per second) via Airport extreme card

But even regular Airport's 11 Mbps is faster than almost anyone's Internet connection, so the wireless shouldn't be a bottleneck.

OP
U

Uni

where are u using the airport? Because if it as a University or sumfin, u will find that lots of ppl are using the wireless network and it will block up the system severly. if it works fine at home, there's nothing wrong with it. Also ensure u have loaded the latest drivers and versions for Airport...

Uni/.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.