PDA

View Full Version : Where is ToddG?

Carol247
05-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Did I miss something? Haven't seen him around for awhile however, I haven't been here much either since my class sessions started up for summer.

Just checking...:D

RiDE
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
He left... VERY unfortunately IMO.

moss918
05-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Now who's going to deal with your spelling and grammar corrections Ride?

On a serious note, it is very unfortunate to see him go, anyone able to fill me in on why?

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah I saw his last post somewhere around and he wasn't pretty happy and he took off.

Its very sad indeed.

And for you Ride I guess u'll have to find someone else to check ur spelling and grammer ;) :D

iRye
05-11-2007, 09:50 PM
whoa...link please

eric
05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
eh, i just looked up his last post.

i thought it would take something a bit more for someone like ToddG to leave.

weird. maybe he's got something else going on that's weighing on him, 'cause leaving over that? meh...

Carol247
05-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah I saw his last post somewhere around and he wasn't pretty happy and he took off.

Its very sad indeed.

And for you Ride I guess u'll have to find someone else to check ur spelling and grammer ;) :D

OMG! I really liked that guy. I'll miss him a lot on the 5-letter game. I'm so sorry to hear that he's gone. :(

Watch out RIDE, I love spelling and grammar. Probably won't be as good as ToddG with it, but I'll be watching! ;D

moss918
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM

weird. maybe he's got something else going on that's weighing on him, 'cause leaving over that? meh...

Agreed, that post sounds like a joke, but he's been gone a week now...

KoDorSean
05-11-2007, 10:14 PM
he will be missed.. on the other hand thats no reason to leave in my opinion..

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
u never really know whats really going on with him. There might be other circumstances that made things worse.

But I do have to agree he will be missed and I do hope he comes back!

mathogre
05-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree it's a shame. Perhaps he'll return.

I had the sense he was getting frustrated with a few things around here. To me, his last post reflected only a portion of his frustrations.

MaDDoG
05-11-2007, 10:56 PM

Sad to see him go....guess I'll be king of the 5 letter game now;D

Eric...love the new avatar. I was not a fan of the old old....made you look grumpy.:D

eric
05-11-2007, 11:00 PM
thanks!
i thought he was surly. and i think it was Steven11 who called him salty ;).

but what could be better than keeping warm with some fresh pancakes! ;P

MacHeadCase
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
And not ordinary pancakes either! I'm sure they're blueberry!

*Slurp*

*Hmmmmmmmmm* Blueberry pancakes....

MaDDoG
05-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I can taste them now....with my favorite maple syrup, cream and creamy ice-cream......mmmmmmmmm (mouth watering like homer j )

MacHeadCase
05-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh yes! Yesssss! *Drool*

ibookclamman300
05-11-2007, 11:08 PM
this is by far the goofiest forum I have ever posted on. XD

MacHeadCase
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
In my book, goofy is very good. :D

Netty4mac
05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Eh???? I think I missed something....

eric
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
i'm sure ToddG would find it fitting that we derailed his 'missing' thread with warm, delicious, comfy pancakes. :D

and, yes MHC, if my son had anything to do with it, they would definitely be blueberry. ;)

Netty4mac
05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
i'm sure ToddG would find it fitting that we derailed his 'missing' thread with warm, delicious, comfy pancakes. :D

and, yes MHC, if my son had anything to do with it, they would definitely be blueberry. ;)

MMMmMMM...pancakes....I just ate a yummy donut. ;)

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Man, u guys making me hungry, now I feel like eating Pancakes :D

I love this crazy Forum :D

dtravis7
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
That does it, time to make my homemade pancake mix and make up a batch of pancakes in ToddG's honor.

Maybe he will miss us all and return some day.

Hope so.

eric
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
can you make one in the shape of a walther ppk? i'm sure he would have liked that... ;)

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey D

sign me up for some of those home made Pancakes, if u can spare some :D

ibookclamman300
05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
this forums is definitely different than any other forum I have been on. Very cheery, not normal for a forum. And you deal with trollers much better than other forums.

Netty4mac
05-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I can make some mickey mouse pancakes!

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 11:42 PM
^^ I have to second that opinion :D

Alright Netty. Can I have some of those then :D

eric
05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
this forums is definitely different than any other forum I have been on. Very cheery, not normal for a forum. And you deal with trollers much better than other forums.

good combination of subject, rules, mods, and of course the many fine people here. :)

dtravis7
05-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Eric and MinaMACMan, sure thing.

Yeah that is why I love it here, it's not your typical forum. Nice bunch of Users and Mods.

ibookclamman300
05-11-2007, 11:48 PM
it is nice here. and I feel more open to buy hardware from users on here than other forums, feels safer.

Netty4mac
05-11-2007, 11:51 PM
it is nice here. and I feel more open to buy hardware from users on here than other forums, feels safer.

Awwww, I love you guys too!! ;D

MinaMACMan
05-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Hey this is way off topic *sorry*

but what does it mean when u get a Silver Rep Square!!

I got one with no feedback, any body seen this b4?

ibookclamman300
05-11-2007, 11:54 PM
no idea

eric
05-11-2007, 11:55 PM
the silver (i think it's gray), means that the person who left you rep (positive or negative) doesn't have enough rep themselves to "count" against your total. so if they didn't leave a comment, you can't know if they liked what you said, or were irked. ;)

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Gotcha...

The rep system is becoming tricky my friends.

I am still "irked" by the fact that I got a negative rep for Stating my Opinion of MS Windows a couple of days ago, Seriously how do u get negative rep on a MAC forum for Saying that Windows is no good?!!!

KoDorSean
05-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Gotcha...

I am still "irked" by the fact that I got a negative rep for Stating my Opinion of MS Windows a couple of days ago, Seriously how do u get negative rep on a MAC forum for Saying that Windows is no good?!!!

try not to worry about it man.. I get my fair share of neg rep for my opinons.. just go with the flow..

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 12:13 AM
I hear ya. Am not worried about it, its all good. Its a Free Country, oops I mean Forum right :D

I don't think a negative rep can actually change my mind about Windows anyways heh!

Kash
05-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Wow, I totally missed this thread. ToddG leaving, avatars changing, and pancakes everywhere!!! Oh the insanity!!! :P

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 01:35 AM
LOL

Kash, u r falling way behind my man, u got some serious catch up to do.

Not sure if Netty and dTravis are willing to make any more Pancakes tho :P

I ate the last one :D :D
they were mmmm mmm good :P

But its still sad that Todd left no question there

Carol247
05-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow! I'm gone a few hours and look where this thread has strayed! :D

You all are so much fun! I too think ToddG would appreciate that "his" thread took such a delicious turn. ;D

He will be missed though! :(

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 01:40 AM
May be we can lure him back with Special Edition Mac-Forums Blueberry Pancakes, do u folks think it would work :P :D

Kash
05-12-2007, 02:42 AM
If it doesn't, I call dibs on the pancakes!!! :P

Netty4mac
05-12-2007, 02:47 AM
http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/181/181608cm547rxz0z.gif

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 03:09 AM
That does it, time to make my homemade pancake mix and make up a batch of pancakes in ToddG's honor.

Hope so.

dtravis...can you pm me a pancake.....:D ;D

eric
05-12-2007, 03:11 AM
oh, i hope i live to see the day when mankind can instant message snacks...

[sigh]

Kash
05-12-2007, 03:13 AM
http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/181/181608cm547rxz0z.gif

Thank you very much! I love pancakes!!!! :D

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 03:17 AM
I especially love the apple bavarian ones they serve at the pancake parlour near home, ohhhh and a big swiss malted. mmmmmmmmm drroooooooool

eric
05-12-2007, 03:40 AM
you know, i could really go for a nice monte cristo right now.

mmmmm, monte cristo...

MacHeadCase
05-12-2007, 07:52 AM

Hope so.

Well this a.m. I'd kinda like some too. My mailbox is small though so all the blueberries are gonna be squished beyond recognition. And they're gonna ring out all the maple syrup... Whaaaaah! :(

Flic
05-12-2007, 09:15 AM
OH NO!! I had no idea he'd left, I thought he was on holiday or something :( I'll miss him *sniff*

schweb
05-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Gotcha...

Could it be because not everyone who uses a Mac hates Windows?

Ryan13
05-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Thats true, Some people, like myself, might just prefer mac osx over windows and not hate windows.

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey I agree with u, but I am still entitled to my own opinion aren't I?

If I dislike windows and all the pain it brought me with all my previous PCs then there should be nothing wrong with me saying that.

Mind you I still have to use Windows for work and unfortunately even on my MacBook, but that doesn't mean I like it!

None the less I still don't see this as a valid Negative Rep situation.

schweb
05-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey I agree with u, but I am still entitled to my own opinion aren't I?

If I dislike windows and all the pain it brought me with all my previous PCs then there should be nothing wrong with me saying that.

Mind you I still have to use Windows for work and unfortunately even on my MacBook, but that doesn't mean I like it!

None the less I still don't see this as a valid Negative Rep situation.

It's a perfect reason for negative rep. This is a perfect example of the hypocritical attitude some people display for the system. So do you think people should not be allowed to give positive rep for posts that are only opinion? Heck, I just checked out your rep points and noticed you got a few positive's for opinion posts...should I remove those for you?

There is more than enough discussion on this topic with more than enough replies from the mods to explain to you why the reps system is the way it is and our philosophy on what it should be use for.

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I am not here to make a big fuss about things like this. And as u mentioned b4 rep points and post counts are meaningless to some extent.

What happened is in the past and I moved along! lets not make it a big deal.

fleurya
05-12-2007, 04:38 PM
It's a perfect reason for negative rep. This is a perfect example of the hypocritical attitude some people display for the system. So do you think people should not be allowed to give positive rep for posts that are only opinion? Heck, I just checked out your rep points and noticed you got a few positive's for opinion posts...should I remove those for you?

There is more than enough discussion on this topic with more than enough replies from the mods to explain to you why the reps system is the way it is and our philosophy on what it should be use for.

I can see the hypocrisy of it, but just imagine if we all gave negative rep for every comment we read that we don't agree with. I think things would get ugly pretty fast. Then you might consider it a matter of degree. But then again everyone's line of how much they agree or disagree enough to validate a rep one way or another is different, so some may get upset over it.

At first, I thought the purpose of the positive rep system was for instances when one has helped another with a technical or informational issues, not for opinions. I thought a lot of positive rep was an example of one's Apple knowledge and ability. On the flip side, I thought negative rep was to keep people in line and mature by dinging people for making negative personal attacks, immature comments and baseless claims; basically to keep the forum civil in a time when people tend to be more ugly, cruel and rude when they can hide behind their keyboard. (see comments on Youtube as an example) I used to judge information I got by a person's rep, but since one can build rep just by saying what someone else likes to hear or just "forum friends", I suppose it's not the best way to judge what someone tells you from a technical standpoint.

At first, I didn't hand out much rep and when I got negative reps for opinions I was pretty mad under this assumption. I personally feel my assumption of how the system should work is much more appropriate because, awarding like-mindedness and punishing differing ideas feels like an attack on one's freedom of speech and will hinder people from speaking how they feel out of fear it will bring a negative response that tarnishes their reputation.

Just one person's humble opinion.

dtravis7
05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I said this once and will say it once more, it seems most of the users I do give Neg Rep to are banned and never return. I don't hand out Negative Rep unless a user is really trying to make trouble here.

I understand people have opinions and try to respect those opinions. I just get upset at Trolls who come here JUST to bash OSX and Mac's. Those users I have no respect for and they have no place on a Mac forum as they are here just to make a war.

schweb
05-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I am not here to make a big fuss about things like this. And as u mentioned b4 rep points and post counts are meaningless to some extent.

What happened is in the past and I moved along! lets not make it a big deal.

Then why do you feel the need to bring it up constantly? I suggest to you that if it's not big deal, you stop mentioning it.

schweb
05-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Just one person's humble opinion.

Thank you for your opinion. As I stated earlier, the system's philosophy has been outlined and explained numerous times on this board.

I would suggest that this be the end of the discussion as there has been more than enough discussion on the rep system and a search will yield the same answers you'll receive from anyone on staff today.

Not to mention, that is not the topic of this thread. ;)

MinaMACMan
05-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Point taken,

I was just agitated about and was venting that was all. but its out of my system now :D

Cheers

dtravis7
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I wonder if ToddG really did go back to Windows? I would hope that he did not buy a Mac for people. I bought my Macs because I like them and OSX, and really do not care what anyone thinks or how they act.

I still hope he gets over whatever bugged him here and comes back.

iKitten
05-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I sincerely doubt he went back to windows ~ I think he just got hacked at the way this place is run. :\

KoDorSean
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I sincerely doubt he went back to windows ~ I think he just got hacked at the way this place is run. :\

his loss

RiDE
05-12-2007, 06:53 PM
his loss

I disagree... I think it's the forums loss. He was an awesome member.

schweb
05-12-2007, 07:34 PM

It could be argued either way. This forum is run the way it's been run from the beginning, and we're not here to please everyone. However, 14,000+ active members seem to truly enjoy the environment that is here.

Some people, even those who might be high posters or considered a strong part of the community, just don't fit into that type of environment. Some people would like more freedom than we allow here, and to them, while I'm sorry to see them go, I'd rather they go.

Why, do you ask? Because they usually just become a disruptive influence. Would ToddG become that way? I don't know, but I've seen it happen enough times that I'd prefer it not the happen again.

IMHO, there are enough "free-wheeling" do whatever you want forums out there and those are the kinds of places that we don't want to be. We are different, we are unique for simply the reason that we do have a tight leash on behavior here to ensure a safe, fun environment for everyone.

We will not be all things to all people. However, we've been very successful with the niche we've carved out and the environment we choose to cultivate. We are by far the largest forum-only Mac site on the internet. Unfortunately, as I said, we won't be able to please everyone.

When you try to be all things to all people, you end up pleasing no one.

iRye
05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
While the moderation is excellent, I find that MF is the strictest forum I've been active at. I mean no offense to the moderators and Schweb, as I give a short list of pros and cons of strictness:

Pros:

Keeping it clean, and fun
We're mostly friends.
We aren't rude. (mostly)

Cons:

Sometimes strict mods close too many threads (sorry, but noticing this happen a lot lately)
Unneccessary banning.
Going crazy with their power.
The forum goes downhill because no-one's having fun.

I mean no offense to any of the mods, once again, but I think people might just leave because mods are to strict! Joking about rep not permitted and getting a 2 day ban for it? A little over the edge...

Sorry. But the cons 1 and 3 are becoming very true at Mac-Forums.com. 2...meh..somewhat.

Sorry, I needed to vent...I still like it here. But you might not want to ban someone for a joke that's completely G-Rated(ex: Asking for rep jokingly).

*please don't ban me ;)*

skye
05-12-2007, 07:53 PM
While the moderation is excellent, I find that MF is the strictest forum I've been active at. I mean no offense to the moderators and Schweb, as I give a short list of pros and cons of strictness:

Pros:

Keeping it clean, and fun
We're mostly friends.
We aren't rude. (mostly)

Cons:

Sometimes strict mods close too many threads (sorry, but noticing this happen a lot lately)
Unneccessary banning.

I mean no offense to any of the mods, once again, but I think people might just leave because mods are to strict! Joking about rep not permitted and getting a 2 day ban for it? A little over the edge...

Sorry. But the cons 1 and 3 are becoming very true at Mac-Forums.com. 2...meh..somewhat.

Sorry, I needed to vent...I still like it here. But you might not want to ban someone for a joke that's completely G-Rated(ex: Asking for rep jokingly).

*please don't ban me ;)*

concurred

RiDE
05-12-2007, 07:53 PM

It could be argued either way. This forum is run the way it's been run from the beginning, and we're not here to please everyone. However, 14,000+ active members seem to truly enjoy the environment that is here.

Some people, even those who might be high posters or considered a strong part of the community, just don't fit into that type of environment. Some people would like more freedom than we allow here, and to them, while I'm sorry to see them go, I'd rather they go.

Why, do you ask? Because they usually just become a disruptive influence. Would ToddG become that way? I don't know, but I've seen it happen enough times that I'd prefer it not the happen again.

IMHO, there are enough "free-wheeling" do whatever you want forums out there and those are the kinds of places that we don't want to be. We are different, we are unique for simply the reason that we do have a tight leash on behavior here to ensure a safe, fun environment for everyone.

We will not be all things to all people. However, we've been very successful with the niche we've carved out and the environment we choose to cultivate. We are by far the largest forum-only Mac site on the internet. Unfortunately, as I said, we won't be able to please everyone.

When you try to be all things to all people, you end up pleasing no one.

LOL... it's just MY opinion... no offense intended. ;P

schweb
05-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Cons:

Unneccessary banning.

Let me just answer this by saying the board is run the same way as it was from the beginning. We somehow have grown from 1 to over 14,000 members. Seems we're doing something right.

As for your specific points:
1. We close no more threads than we ever had. If you think closing a thread before it turns to a flame war is bad, I'm sorry that we don't agree.

2. We have no unnecssary banning. We ban for violations of the forum rules only. The rules are public, there is nothing members don't know about.

3. Going crazy with power? Not too sure about that one. However, if people who have run-ins with the mods because they break the rules feel that way, again, I'm sorry we disagree. I believe there was only one mod who truly abused their power at times, and they're no longer here.

4. As for this one, again, we've grown to over 14,000 members with people almost daily posting how much they love it here. And I seem to find posts every day where people are just having fun. If you're idea of fun is to cause trouble and hurt other people, then I'm sorry we don't agree.

As I said before, we're not here to please everyone. If this environment doesn't suit you, there are many other forums out there which may.

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't hate windows....how else could I enjoy the view outside and stay indoors.:D

iRye
05-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Schweb:

I hope you weren't offended in any way by my post. However, I think it was slightly unneccessary to ban Cassifire when she said "the rep system is back, now give me some ;)". You can't give me an infraction/warning/ban for this post, because you made it obvious why she was "suspended" by posting "Asking for rep isn't allowed."

No offense, but is joking about the rep system also not allowed?

KoDorSean
05-12-2007, 08:17 PM

I never meant to suggest he is/was not an awesome member.. I am just saying that in the long run it will be his loss not the forums.

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Lets all agree that there are good and bad points to the forum and the rep system. We are here and we know the rules. We can agree to disagree but at the end of the day we all have the same rules to abide by.

Now enough of the rep chatter

baggss
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Is that 14,000 number including the yearly inactive account mass deletion schweb? Are there 14,000 members who have been active in the last year or only 14,000 people who have joined since this place started? Most board software doesn't reduce the member count when you perform a mass-prune action.

To be honest, I see only two active forum staff here (schweb and DB), the rest don't seem to do a lot, although they may be closing threads that I am not really looking at so I may not notice them as much.

schweb
05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Schweb:

I hope you weren't offended in any way by my post. However, I think it was slightly unneccessary to ban Cassifire when she said "the rep system is back, now give me some ;)". You can't give me an infraction/warning/ban for this post, because you made it obvious why she was "suspended" by posting "Asking for rep isn't allowed."

No offense, but is joking about the rep system also not allowed?

Just out of curiosity why are you just trying to cause trouble?

You know what the rules are, read them, you'll have your answer.

Why would you receive an infraction for that post. Care to show me where in the rules you broke one or was that just for the dramatic effect you are clearly trying to stir up here?

schweb
05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Is that 14,000 number including the yearly inactive account mass deletion schweb? Are there 14,000 members who have been active in the last year or only 14,000 people who have joined since this place started? Most board software doesn't reduce the member count when you perform a mass-prune action.

Yes, that's exclusive of the pruned members. Our count does drop, you'll notice it every time I prune the members. Overall we've had well over 27,000 member signups since the board was created. The 14,000+ number are active users in the last 12 months.

To be honest, I see only two active forum staff here (schweb and DB), the rest don't seem to do a lot, although they may be closing threads that I am not really looking at so I may not notice them as much.

They are out there and just as active. They just leave threads like this to db and I to wrestle with. ;)

baggss
05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

schweb
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL... it's just MY opinion... no offense intended. ;P

None taken. :)

iRye
05-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I apologize, schweb. I didn't mean to cause trouble. All I wanted to do was try to give a good point...but it wasn't so good...please, accept my apology.

Kash
05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
No offense iRye, but I love this place because it's fun. I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 08:41 PM
So getting back to the original thread (sorry to hijack it) has anyone heard from ToddG or did he just up and go without explanation?

KoDorSean
05-12-2007, 08:44 PM
So getting back to the original thread (sorry to hijack it) has anyone heard from ToddG or did he just up and go without explanation?

if you read his last post I think you can do the math as to why he is gone.

The way I read into it. He did not agree with the way the mods run the forum.. It was his choice to leave.

UserofMacOSX
05-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Does anyone have another way to contact him, such as an instant message or email? :)

iRye
05-12-2007, 08:46 PM
No offense iRye, but I love this place because it's fun. I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D
I agree, it is fun, but sometimes, as with any forum, it's not. you are one of the most fun forums' ive been to :)

KoDorSean
05-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Does anyone have another way to contact him, such as an instant message or email? :)

get with ride, i believe he can get ahold of him.

MaDDoG
05-12-2007, 09:05 PM

The way I read into it. He did not agree with the way the mods run the forum.. It was his choice to leave.

To quote Baggss...."Ah gotcha. Thanks!"

iKitten
05-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I think the strict control is what makes this such a great place. We don't have to worry about trolls ruining things for everybody. And despite the strict control, I personally don't feel stifled to express myself. This place has achieved a good balance, and for that I would like to thank Schweb and the rest of the moderators :D
You said it! I'm so grateful I can express myself politely in relative peace. I've not been active in any forums before this due to the contentious nature of the environment. I registered here because it's different!

Carol247
05-13-2007, 01:22 AM
This thread was probably necessary to clear the air. Now, I'm smellin' pancakes and we should all have some in honor of M-F forums and the cool way problems are solved here.

Schweb, thanks for your straight-forward answers and commitment to keep this place at peace. You do a great job! :D

About ToddG... I think it's his choice to go and he will be missed terribly but we can always hope he'll come back. If he has problems here that he feels are not reconcileable, then it's best he finds another forum where he can be happy.

I still say, I'll really miss him on the 5-letter game though! :)

Hope everyone is all better now. ;D

Aptmunich
05-13-2007, 03:19 AM

Cheers baggss, I'll remember that when working through your daily list of reported posts... ;)

On a personal note: I remember thinking that the rules were a bit strict when I first joined (and I've even accidently broken the non-profanity rule as a mod once).
But the more you see, the more you realize that it works.

Mac forums in particular seem to draw trolls to them like you wouldn't believe. Add the spammers and other nuisances and you can quickly spoil the forum experience for everyone. No one has ever created "fun rules" (isn't that an oxymoron?), but I personally think there aren't any rules here that are too harsh.

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 07:05 AM
You said it! I'm so grateful I can express myself politely in relative peace. I've not been active in any forums before this due to the contentious nature of the environment. I registered here because it's different!

Ditto. In various forums, I always made to feel in more or less subtle ways that I was dismissed because I was female: not constantly but it was there. A female's opinion wasn't as valuable as a man's.

And if harassment happened to me as a female (it has on two or three occasions, in different forums), it was very hard to make the staff understand what happened and how I felt. Here it's different, staff is receptive and it's one of the reasons why so many female members come to this place and why they post much more freely than in any other forum I've been to.

As for restrictions, its in human nature to always try to get away with and grab as much of you can out of what is available to you (even some of what isn't available). So rules? You betcha. We need them unfortunately.

The staff has a very professional attitude in dealing with infractions, applying the rules and it suits me fine.

So big thanks to those that accept these rules in this forum. And big thanks to those that see that these rules are followed by all, no favouritism involved.

:D

KoDorSean
05-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Ditto. In various forums, I always made to feel in more or less subtle ways that I was dismissed because I was female: not constantly but it was there. A female's opinion wasn't as valuable as a man's.

And if harassment happened to me as a female (it has on two or three occasions, in different forums), it was very hard to make the staff understand what happened and how I felt. Here it's different, staff is receptive and it's one of the reasons why so many female members come to this place and why they post much more freely than in any other forum I've been to.

As for restrictions, its in human nature to always try to get away with and grab as much of you can out of what is available to you (even some of what isn't available). So rules? You betcha. We need them unfortunately.

The staff has a very professional attitude in dealing with infractions, applying the rules and it suits me fine.

So big thanks to those that accept these rules in this forum. And big thanks to those that see that these rules are followed by all, no favouritism involved.

:D

that is an awesome post.. you opened up my eyes to something I never thought about..

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Why thank you KoDor! :)

KoDorSean
05-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Why thank you KoDor! :)

I think it would be a great idea if this forum had a female mod ( if they don't already). That way they could chime in on things a male might not quite see or understand being a male. A females point of view would be a huge addition. There is no gender option on this forum so I can't tell if there is already a female mod. From what I have seen there is not one but again I can't be positive on that one.

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't think there is a female on the M-F staff but the staff's infraction grading system seems to be fairly effective from what I've seen so far. I don't know who jotted down that system but it seems to work rather well.

iRye
05-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Seconded!

baggss
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Cheers baggss, I'll remember that when working through your daily list of reported posts... ;)

As I have said before:

"Once a problem child, always a problem child"....

Ryan13
05-13-2007, 02:59 PM
I think it would be a great idea if this forum had a female mod ( if they don't already)

I vote MacHeadCase! :) :)

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks a whole lot for the trust, gnrfsu. But I've been down that road before and am never going back there again. :D

Carol247
05-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks a whole lot for the trust, gnrfsu. But I've been down that road before and am never going back there again. :D

If it was up to a vote, I'd vote for you too MHC, but I understand the decline too. I'm sure being a Mod/Admin. is a very difficult job! I can't even imagine. :Grimmace:

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd vote for you Carol! :D

johntalin
05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
A female's opinion wasn't as valuable as a man's.:D

What century was this?

:Angry-Tongue:

MacHeadCase
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I ain't that old. ROTFL ;D

Kash
05-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Moderating isn't that bad, especially if you're working with a competent team. Those spammers are annoying though... :Not-Amused:

Carol247
05-14-2007, 02:49 AM
I ain't that old. ROTFL ;D

oops!

MaDDoG
05-14-2007, 03:52 AM
As I have said before:

"Once a problem child, always a problem child"....

Who's a child?

I ain't that old. ROTFL

Now I am confused.

Vote one MHC, a thoroughly modern model of a modern major general.

AnthonyJK
05-14-2007, 04:37 AM
Wait I'm lost, why did ToddG leave? Link to his post or explanation please?

MaDDoG
05-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Wait I'm lost, why did ToddG leave? Link to his post or explanation please?

A very good question......:Evil: ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDDoG

dtravis7
05-14-2007, 05:02 AM
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=387379&postcount=122

That is the post.

AnthonyJK
05-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the post travis! I do agree the rules are really strict on this forum but I guess it's for the best even though it does get quite annoying sometimes.

johntalin
05-14-2007, 05:26 AM
WHERE is ToddG?

schweb
05-14-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now. The question has been asked and answered and the discussion continues to circle back to unhealthy places.