• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bags under the eyes...solutions?

Reaction score
I get bags under my eyes. Dark, puffy bags from spending too much time in front of my Mac ("is this possible?", I hear you cry...)

Just wondering if any of you can recommend any products that deal with this. In the past I've tried slices of potato, cucumber, tea bags... just made me feel like some kind of summer salad.

So I tried Clinique stuff, Nivea stuff, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any tips? I hate having bags under my eyes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Get more sleep? Spend less time in front of your Mac? I know it sounds like blasphemy, but you must make the sacrifice for your health :p

I have this thing called spEYE, but it's really more for puffy eyes than bags under the eyes....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I don't have personal experience with it (Or an old family cure passed down through the generations) but there seems to be some good tips here CLICK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
More sleep. I picked on a memory foam pad for $75 on eBay. I don't wake up at all at night. It's amazing. Or try Prep H. It will tighten the skin under your eyes.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
i have the same problem...theres this stuff called Hylexin which is supposed to work wonders...kind of expensive though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Just noticed that from the look of my avatar I should be asking this question...

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks for these replies. I do have a thing called a Chillow from http://www.soothsoft.com/, which I can't do without now.

You know how you turn the pillow over trying to find the cool spot? This is a solution to that.

You fill it with water and it cools in relation to the ambient temperature. In the summer you can put it in the fridge for 15 minutes before you go to bed. The idea is that it cools the brain and you go into a particularly deep sleep. It's surprising how warm the thing gets. I tend to turn mine through 180 degrees a couple of time during the night as one side gets warm.

It's also recommended for migraine sufferers, people with fevers, etc.

Kash: I looked at spEYE on eBay: £20! Jeepers. Is that the price of vanity these days?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Honestly, the best solution is the one already given here several times: more sleep.

I would add that taking a week's holiday -- without any kind of computer to stare at -- works wonders for your appearance and disposition.

All the best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I get bags under my eyes. Dark, puffy bags from spending too much time in front of my Mac ("is this possible?", I hear you cry...)

Just wondering if any of you can recommend any products that deal with this. In the past I've tried slices of potato, cucumber, tea bags... just made me feel like some kind of summer salad.

So I tried Clinique stuff, Nivea stuff, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any tips? I hate having bags under my eyes...

as many others have said your best bet is more sleep. how much sleep do you usually get a night?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Cucumbers?

cucumber-eyes.jpg

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
as many others have said your best bet is more sleep. how much sleep do you usually get a night?

I try for seven hours. I go to bed about 10.30, read for a bit, get up about six (although my body would like another hour and a half).

I get up at 6am because I'm a freelance writer. If I get up at six and run, I can be at my desk by 7.15. I'll then work on my book until about 9.30. Then I move on to work for clients, which takes me to about 5-6pm. After that, I spend a bit of time with the kids, then in the evening I might come back on to the Mac to do some "fun stuff" with iLife. Or, if I've lost time for some reason during the day I'll finish off a job.

4-5 mornings I'll go for a run (about 2.5 miles - 25 minutes). My shoe size is 42-43. I have more grey hair than I'd like and I'm 40 in December. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I try for seven hours. I go to bed about 10.30, read for a bit, get up about six (although my body would like another hour and a half).

I get up at 6am because I'm a freelance writer. If I get up at six and run, I can be at my desk by 7.15. I'll then work on my book until about 9.30. Then I move on to work for clients, which takes me to about 5-6pm. After that, I spend a bit of time with the kids, then in the evening I might come back on to the Mac to do some "fun stuff" with iLife. Or, if I've lost time for some reason during the day I'll finish off a job.

4-5 mornings I'll go for a run (about 2.5 miles - 25 minutes). My shoe size is 42-43. I have more grey hair than I'd like and I'm 40 in December. :\

If you were able to figure out a way to get 8-8.5 hrs of sleep a night for 30-60 days in a row I would think your bags would go away.

Reaction score
Like Kash said more sleep and less mac dude. I work a crazy schedule and I rotate from nights to days so my sleeping habits are always thrown off. I make one day out the week to catch up on my sleep. I have bags under my eyes but not as bad as I use to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have the bags problem too.. It always looks like I'm strung out and hungover.. I average 3-4 hours of actual sleep each night, and I know that's the reason why.. I can never get a good night's sleep, it sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I have the bags problem too.. It always looks like I'm strung out and hungover.. I average 3-4 hours of [i[actual[/i] sleep each night, and I know that's the reason why.. I can never get a good night's sleep, it sucks.

Have you considered something like Ambien, or even Tylenol PM or Benadryl?

Or at a minimum, eating a handful of cherries before going to bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've tried sleeping pills, recommended by a pharmacist of course, but I find that they take a while to kick in, and once they do, you're out for a lot longer than what you'd like. So by the time you actually "wake up" from them to get that feeling that you ARE awake, and not just waking up, it takes a while. You have to let them run their course.

Tylonel is like candy to me. I've been having migraines as a child, so anything that is over-the-counter, doesn't really work.

NyQuil works though. Sometimes I'll take 2 of the capsules to help me sleep.

I've never tried Ambien, and cherries are way too expensive here to be doing that lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried sleeping pills, recommended by a pharmacist of course, but I find that they take a while to kick in, and once they do, you're out for a lot longer than what you'd like. So by the time you actually "wake up" from them to get that feeling that you ARE awake, and not just waking up, it takes a while. You have to let them run their course.

Tylonel is like candy to me. I've been having migraines as a child, so anything that is over-the-counter, doesn't really work.

NyQuil works though. Sometimes I'll take 2 of the capsules to help me sleep.

I've never tried Ambien, and cherries are way too expensive here to be doing that lol.

Try sleepMD. it worked for my wife for a few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4-933, PB-1.25, TiBook-1Ghz
If you can drink milk try warm milk, I know it seems like an 'old lady' thing, but it works. Tryptophan. I'm not sure why but for some reason it works best it it's heated on the stove and not the microwave.

Less Mac? That would be a tough one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
4 hours of sleep with a half-hour nap mid-day. the typical REM cycle is about 4 hours, that's why you're tired when you get 6 1/2 hours... then after about 3 or 4 days of that, one night of solid 8 hours - not in-bed time reading, but actual sleep time.
If I'm having trouble after that, I take Valerian Root supplements. Helps you to achieve REM quicker and have a more relaxed sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.