• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows is....stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I borrowed a notebook from work today for a trip I'm taking (I'm in between company-issued notebooks and using a desktop at the office, waiting for the new one). At any rate, the IS guy added a local admin account for me so that I could install software, if necessary. I was installing the Cingular connection software (for their broadband PC card) and got stuck in a BSOD/reboot loop. Since you can't uninstall in safe mode, I decided to try system restore. Unfortunately, the only system restore point was from 2 days ago -- BEFORE my account was created! So, now, the machine works, I just can't log onto it.

So, I'm torn on this one...if you're rolling back to a certain date, it seems to make sense that this could be a possibility. I'd still think some sort of warning would be in order. Furthermore, the point of system restore isn't to remove users, it's to recover from system failures...so you'd think they'd find a way to preserve the user base.

</end rant>

Bill Gates, you should be proud. If Ford had better marketing, they could have dominated the auto market with the '73 Pinto.

Well, it's a good thing my MacBook runs XP, too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't know if I would blame this on Windows pe-se. I would blame your IT guys for being idiots though. Many IT departments use the "roll-Back" feature for just that. They have a set date that they want to roll-back to when the user is done. This is called lazy, as they should simply re-image the HDD from a server or DVD/CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
I dunno, it's why I'm asking ;) .... do Macs have roll-back????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I don't know if I would blame this on Windows pe-se. I would blame your IT guys for being idiots though. Many IT departments use the "roll-Back" feature for just that. They have a set date that they want to roll-back to when the user is done. This is called lazy, as they should simply re-image the HDD from a server or DVD/CD.

+1 for the "Lazy IT workers".

Don't give windows such a hard time guys, every OS has it's pros and cons. Windows unfortunately has a much larger market share, therefore it has more users to have problems with it O:)

OP
MattGiaco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I'm not so much mad at Windows as I am irritated. I can see both lines of logic in this case. I do, however, think if the account that you are using when you run system restore doesn't exist in the restore point, it might be something the could warn you about. Oh well, it'll come out in SP5. They'll call it the Microsoft Windows System Restore Intelligent User Notification System. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.