MP3 Player with drag & drop

Reaction score
Ok, two days with the macbook, and I love the mac world. Windows is now squarely in my rear view mirror, and fading away. I quickly found free software to edit audio, video, do conversions, and everything else I did with windows, except for one crucial thing.

I LOVED winamp, being able to drag and drop mp3 files into a window and add them to a temporary list that would play while the program was open. I could enque files into the list and the song playing would stay the song playing.

I tunes is not for me. It takes too many liberties, moving files around, trying to make playlists, etc. I hate playlists. I don't want them. I want to control my music playing completely, and pick form my mp3 folder what I want to play, and when, and then shut it down, with all my files where they started. I tried songbird, and a half dozen other players, and they all are stuck on this playlist concept for some odd reason.

Winamp for OSX isn't ready yet, so does anyone have any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
VLC will do what you're looking for.
Open VLC and Finder
Go to the folder in finder where you have your music
You can drag n drop track by track into the VLC controller. Press play after you drop your first selection and continue adding to the list. VLC will continue playing the first song and play in the order you drop them into the controller. You can add music, audio or video podcasts, etc. to your current set.

You can save your selections as a Playlist or just close VLC when done and it's gone.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I will try the VLC idea. I found an old download for MacAmp and it is a bit buggy with a pause here and there, and the drag and drop window is separate, but otherwise it is the best yet. Winamp of course allows the window to dock to the main control panel, or not, which I prefer.

On a slightly unrelated note, I find it very funny that my macbook can shut down and fully restart in under 30 seconds while it takes a windows machine at the least two minutes to do this in most cases. LOL.

OS X is different, and I am still getting used to the differences, and it isn't perfect. But you can't help but feel overall that it is superior to any version of windows. Vista is a bloated nightmare.

I will deal with the MP3 issue, and winamp for OS X will be released soon per their website. It is very light, and can do anything that any other player can do, and things they cannot do. Their first goal has always been to use as little resources as possible, while getting the job done. Kind of the way macs work.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
being one of the more vehemently anti-itunes and anti-ipod members here, i tried for a while to find something to use besides itunes. i tried audion, songbird, and vlc, but i did eventually find itunes very usable, once i figured out how to use it for my needs.

i still use all my "own" folders to contain all my music. i don't use itunes to manage files. but now i do use it to rip and burn. i also use it to make temporary playlists that one can easily drag and drop music into and rearrange as needed by dragging songs up and down the playlist (good for arranging songs that will go on a standard music cd). of course once any songs are added to a playlist, they're also added to the music library, so it is a two step process to remove a song from a playlist and the "library".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.