CS:S Now Terrible Under Bootcamp!

Reaction score
I'm running a Macbook C2D with 2GB of RAM in Windows XP Professional under Bootcamp 1.2's drivers.

I just installed Steam and Counterstrike: Source. However, it is essentially unplayable! The frame rate is about 12FPS at the absolute best (that is, with everything pulled down and DirectX 7.0 forced).

The thing that makes me raise my eyebrows is that I KNOW, under the older Bootcamp drivers (and perhaps with graphics drivers from Intel directly) I got totally playable frame rates (I would estimate 30-50FPS) with almost all the details and options at the highest levels. I uninstalled Windows some months ago, but at that time, I distinctly recall playing Counterstrike: Source with all the eye-candy with no choppiness.

Has Apple suddenly forced, directly or indirectly, bad windows gaming performance with the new drivers? Or is there simply some Intel issue? If so, where can I find older drivers to give it a try?

I don't really want to hear "Ohh, integrated graphics suxxorz" and such, as I am quite sure, as mentioned above, that the GPU is completely capable of handling CS:S.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Have you been using the de_dust map in CS:Source?

It seems that this is a wide spread issue with the original maps.

actually source is awesome for me onmy MacBook. I can't play any original maps for lag but here's what i do --- play modded maps like fy_iceworld, gg_'s, and aim_'s. All of those are basic mod maps but incredibly fun. The maps that are basic give me the oppurtunity to boost up my graphics to high as they can be and have no lag whatsoever.
Have you tried a different map?

The above came from this link.

I also found these links:

http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=219

http://www.maconintel.com/news.php?article=171

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
It should work considering the fact the Macbook has 220 MB shared Graphics RAM when running Windows.

OP
C
Reaction score
Interesting observations and confirmations: works perfectly with EVERYTHING at max in user-made maps. Even ones with lots of textures, etc etc.

Works GREAT when I'm INSIDE on real maps; however, when I'm outside, it's about 5-12fps all the time.

Another interesting thing to note:

No matter what settings I use, it's the SAME on real maps. Whether I run it at 640x480 or 1200x800, I still get nearly exactly the same frame rate.

Clearly this is not a GPU capability issue. I personally think something in CS:S's lighting is causing the Intel drivers to panic and lock up. Note: this is with HDR both on and off.

Does anyone know where I can test out an old version of the Intel drivers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB mem, ATI Radeon X1600 256MB, 160GB HD.
I am playing source with a macbook pro and crossover.

I also have FPS problems... in best case scenario I have 50 FPS and when I engage combat it drops to 20 or lower..

anybody have any experience here? or knows what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The guy in the video is either using Crossover or VMware. The way he says you don't need Windows, he must using Crossover, but I'm surprised if it's really running that well. People with the higher end MBPs have said CS doesn't really run well under Crossover. BTW, most boring video I've ever seen on Youtube. It's called editing people!!

To the OP, it doesn't sound like your macbook was running it that well to begin with. 30-50 FPS doesn't sound like it would be a fun experience. I get over 100 FPS on my MBP and it great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.