How many actually use iChat?

Reaction score
I love the concept of iChat, but frankly, I only know one other person with a Mac and all the people with PC's I know have never used AIM and don't have video.

I'm clueless - please clue me in on your experiences.

Reaction score
AFAIK, AIM is mostly an American thing...everyone in Canada uses MSN Messenger, so we can't use iChat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I use iChat quite a bit to talk with my wife at home (with her Macbook, using iChat) occasionally using the AV part of iChatAV, especially if she's staying somewhere for awhile (like in the hospital..that was brilliant.)

She uses iChat on occasion to video conference with her brother (also using iChat) video-wise.

I use iChat primarily textually with other people like my dad who doesn't use iChat, but is logged in to AIM during the work day.

I have a co-worker who uses MSN on a PC and is webcam equipped, but I have yet to try using the video capabilities of aMSN on the Mac to do video conferencing. That I'll eventually get around to trying out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have an AIM account, but I never use it.. iChat is useless to me, as I have no need for it.

I remember the good 'ol days of ICQ.. Then MSN came along and warped every one.

M

MacHeadCase

AFAIK, AIM is mostly an American thing...everyone in Canada uses MSN Messenger, so we can't use iChat

No need to generalize. I use iChat and I know plenty of people who do. Doesn't Adium support MSN? I have only Mac chat friends.

Adium's file exchange handling is bad though...

Reaction score
Here too, no-one I know has AIM. The Mac base among my friends is growing though, so I might someday start propagating a switch to iChat. I like it's features a lot, but I'm not an IM fan generally.

I love Skype, and I love Twitter. They're less bound to the fact that bth people need to be online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I setup an AOL account to use iChat - but no-one-else has AOL so I have no one to chat to with iChat :( stick with AdiumX to chat to my MSN buddies for now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I use iChat. It does what I want it to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I think the real problem is that no one wants to see anyone else first thing in the morning, pre-coffee, sitting in their underwear, as they check their mail and read the morning headlines.

Or, you could start buying everyone web cams, or convince them to upgrade to a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I grew up with AOL 2.0 and onwards so AIM is the only thing anybody I know uses, so iChat with Chax is perfect for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
The only people I talk to on iChat (AIM) are mac users
I don't know any PC users who use AIM - they all use MSN

Reaction score
it really depends on the area you are in... in high school everybody from my area used msn... but everybody around us used aim. so i had to get both to keep in touch with friends from other schools. now, four years later at ohio state... everybody used aim... barely anybody uses msn anymore.

i use ichat with one name and keep most of my close contacts on it and peopel that i can video conference with.. i use adium for my other aim account and for any random msn user that i need to talk to

Reaction score
I would like to use it but it is too limiting. I have friends that use MSN and Yahoo as well as AIM. If iChat (like Adium) contacted all of them I would switch in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
i do, but only with 1 of my girl friend, cause she has the new macbook pro...

got to wait to i get back on campus and get bootcamp and XP so that i can chat using the built in isight with my girlfriend

another OT and hijacking of this thread.. anyone using bootcamp now, how is the IQ of isight...

and anyhow knows it the built in isight can somehow be used in msn:mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2GB RAM, 160gb HDD
personally i never have used Ichat since i got it...its quite useless to me since all of my friends have MSN. But again, Mac version of MSN doesnt support video chats which is really bad... so i use MSN for chatting, Skype for voice calling and Yahoo messenger for video chats :( thats the only thing i dont like about having a mac... there isnt a decent chat program which would support both video,text and voice.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I love iChat. I use it with all my mac and PC using friends. I guess it depends what generation you are from (I'm 18), because when I was in middle school AIM was the biggest IM client out, so all of my friends have been using it since. I also use iChat to talk to al my recent switcher friends in the Architecture
Stuido at college. Ive done a ton of 4-way video sessions w/ friends. I know about some people who have ahad ichat and NEVER did a video conference

However, that being said, i dont like how you cant appear "invisible" on iChat. I heard the next version that comes out with leopard will, though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I used to use iChat (now I use a different app, but same priciple). I use it to chat with friends I don't see that often and my girlfriend while shes up in college. I like it better than the phone because I can talk to multiple people and don't have to be constantly talking (its ok if theres a few minutes of silence)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
which of the 7 continents are you asking about??? ;)

I have alot of girl friends, but not sure if my girlfriend is my girlfriend at the moment (Complicated R/S)

How many girlfriend do you have??? :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.