A warning about the ADC site.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
As I've just found out to my cost (and the reason I'm still sitting here at 2:30 in the morning) the ADC site times out after 15 minutes of "inactivity". "Activity" obviously does not include downloading stuff over FTP!

Basically my download of the developer toolkit (300Mb) aborted half way through due to this limitation, it doesn't help that the downloads are limited to 30KBps either, so I am now doing it all again but this time I have to sit here clicking on inane links within the site to keep the download going.

There are plenty of QT movies of rather odd looking geeks espousing the wonders of such things as firewire and aqua to keep me busy but overall I'd say it was a rather unprofessional way of doing things. ;)

And to think I pay an absolute fortune for a bloody fast cable link and still have to go through this, something I haven't had to do for at least 3 years!

Oh well at least I have beer. ;)

Amen-Pissed-Off-Moses

G

gatorparrots

That's why I downloaded it as 10-MB segments. Either that, or grab the URL and curl -O it.

OP
A
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Originally posted by gatorparrots@May 3 2003, 10:08 PM
That's why I downloaded it as 10-MB segments. Either that, or grab the URL and curl -O it.
Will that keep the connection open?

I got it eventually, finished about 4am, maybe I'm too spoiled by quick dowlnoads these days but that is one experienc I don't want to repeat in a hurry. ;)

Now I can typ gcc on the command line wihout getting the "Command not found" message so that's a start. Mind you I was expecting all sorts of lovely gui development tools, are they in there somewhere? I'll just have to RTFM I suppose.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I have never had a problem downloading the developer tools or anything off of ADC. I use Speed Download.. and i just let it sit for about 3 hours...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.