• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone else notice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Here in OZ Mac's are catching on; stores that wouldn't look at Mac until the iPod come along are on the bandwagon.

Myers.
**** Smith
And even J&B Hifi?

But one thing caught my eye when I saw them, the Mac's looked (Please Lord Jobs don't strike me down with lightning)...shabby:(

They don't hold up to the local Yobbo traffic that looks at them, they seem grubby.
The white ones don't look the best when they have been mauled by some plebs, they have finger marks and scratches and the black ones don't fare to well either.

I know if I were a pleb looking for a laptop I would walk past the Macs, as they looked old and dated.

Now before you all shoot me down as an unbeliever I have 6 Mac's, Newton and an iPod:spook:

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
The white ones don't look the best when they have been mauled by some plebs, they have finger marks and scratches and the black ones don't fare to well either.

I know if I were a pleb looking for a laptop I would walk past the Macs, as they looked old and dated.

I've noticed the same thing here, I even asked the manager of my local PC World store why they even bother putting Mac stuff on display because it looks such an eyesore and none of the staff know anything about them anyhow.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
From something I posted yesterday

I know a lot of non-geeks who wouldn't know a Mac if they saw one - And are probably unaware that they're "real computers". It doesn't help that when you go to electrical stores like Curry's or Dixons all the Vista laptops have flashy demo videos playing while the Macbooks sit there looking dirty with keys missing and have been clearly set up by someone who knows very little (Almost as if the store doesn't realise they can make money out of Macs too...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 1.83ghz Core Duo. 512mb ram. Macbook 13.3", 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1gig am
Yeah, noticed the same here too. My local PCWorld has, I think, 2 macs on display. You are lucky if they are switched on and if they are they're usually left with the Bluetooth wizard trying to find the mouse. They are right at the back of the store where no-one can even see them. And yes they look shabby, like they have been left in the back of the warehouse for a year or two.

:mad:

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
Anyone else notice?

Not many talkers!! Well they must look better in the USA than they do down here and in Pommy land ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Can't say that I have noticed Mudcrabs....I only go into Mac stores to look at Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
Yeah Im from Boston, MA and almost NO stores other the the apple store carry macs to begin with - CompUSA has some but they have like a "mini-apple" store within the main store and its usually up to snuff although it isn't as galmerous as the applestore I will admit. Once a Best Buy has a mac mini (hooked up to a DELL Monitor) and THAT mac mini was like off haha i couldnt tell if it was for sale or not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Not a lot of chains by where I live (DC/Baltimore area) have stores that sell Mac and PC computers....mainly just apple stores...There's big chains like bestbuy and stuff, but I stay away from the computer sections in those stores as it's hard enough to find some one that can accurately tell the difference between an xbox360 and xbox game, despite the clear marking on the package...

Then again I felt the same way about the people at the Mac store in Towson...It just seemed that the people that worked there knew about the computers and how to sell them, but if I would have asked about how to do several different things through the terminal, they would have looked at me like I was stupid.

That's one thing I can say for the small specialized pc stores around where I live, they're true enthusiast and do in house repairs, so it's generally accepted that they'll know much, much more than any chain store out there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
Terminal is for old people anyway! haha jk - only time I ever used it was to disable Dashboard on an older G3 that was running OSX because it sucks RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is not new.

[wayback machine]

When I bought my first Mac in 1996 in Circuit City they looked the same. When I told the sales guy, who I had to drag to the Mac section, that I wanted to buy a Performa 6400 he spent 10 min trying to convince me that I really wanted this much better Compaq instead.

I bought the Mac, but not until the sales guy flat out told me I was wasting my money and Apple would be dead in a year.

[/wayback machine]

Reaction score
I am not aware of ANY stores in my state (NC, USA) that even carries macs... except for the THREE Apple Stores! I hate that. If I want something I have to order online or drive at least an hour to the store... BaaaaH!

OP
MUDCRABS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a lot of chains by where I live (DC/Baltimore area) have stores that sell Mac and PC computers....mainly just apple stores...There's big chains like bestbuy and stuff, but I stay away from the computer sections in those stores as it's hard enough to find some one that can accurately tell the difference between an xbox360 and xbox game, despite the clear marking on the package...

Then again I felt the same way about the people at the Mac store in Towson...It just seemed that the people that worked there knew about the computers and how to sell them, but if I would have asked about how to do several different things through the terminal, they would have looked at me like I was stupid.

That's one thing I can say for the small specialized pc stores around where I live, they're true enthusiast and do in house repairs, so it's generally accepted that they'll know much, much more than any chain store out there...
Mac's look great in an Apple store but look kinda jaded and bland next to other machines in none Apple sellers.

I think when the iBook G4 was dumped for the Mac-Book and Pro they should have used the same make of case material in the iBooks, the new stuff looks shoddy.
I'll wait till they change the Mac-Books and Pros to a better material for the case.:batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
That sort of reminds me of something like being talked to about a Corvette and still insisting on a Geo Metro. :rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.