Changing the file extensions on a number of files

M

meatychi

Hi There!

I am now a proud owner of a MAC but I need to change a whole load of file extensions.

Does anyone know of a program I can use to change a whole load of files at once.

I know this could be done on a PC so it should be easy enough on a MAC.

Someone please point me in the right direction!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
What reason is there to change file extentions?

OP
M

meatychi

witeshark said:
What reason is there to change file extentions?

Well i have some avi files but have no avi extension on them and therefore Quicktime can't recognise them.

There are quite a few filenames that need amending and I just wondered if there was a little program which can rename filenames in batches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Will simply changing the file name/extention make the movies recognisable without actually changing the format? Changing in batches could be done in a text editor or a WP file

OP
T

TylerMoney

well, changing the file extentions can help...a lot of times that's what you have to do to take a photoshope or illustrator file from mac to pc..or visa versa...

contrtol click on the file, got to get info, then go to name and extension....and see what happens if you put the regular extention in there...also...if you control click it...and then go to open with, you can try and make it open in whatever you're using...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To batch rename files, just write an automator plugin to do it for you!

Open automator (comes with 10.4.) and add 'get selected files from finder'. Then add 'edit filenames to...' (or whatever it's called).

Worked for me like a charm renaming .JPEG to .jpg

OP
P

photon

Mac is more intuitive than PC with file extensions - ie you dont have to see them to use them. If you want to change the file .ext for necessity then use the batch with automator or with Unix and file conversion.
Maybe an alternative simple quick and dirty solution is to select your file, click apple/I, keys then 'Open With' and select appropriate application.
All future files will be automatically opened with that application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.