• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you all think I made a good enough argument on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
This is actually a local issue around my neck of the woods. What happened is that the school board created a referendum for the voters to approve that included a 35 cent tax per $1000 of property. The voters supported that, including yours truly, but an exposé in the local newspaper showed that there was more to the referendum than just that 35 cent increase. The referendum was voted down 51% to 49% because people felt they were deceived by the government. The local government then threatened to remove all school sports because the voters voted it down. However, another newspaper article today stated that the school board intends on keeping sports. But anyways, somebody was trying to blame the voters for the problem so I posted two replies to him and I want to know how good of a case you all think I made. It's on facebook.

If you have a facebook account, feel free to login and then post back here and tell me what you think of the arguments I made. Here's the link. My name on there is Matt Paul. Oh boy, everyone knows my real name now.;)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Oh, BTW, I just created my facebook account. That's why I haven't joined the Mac-Forums group yet, but I will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Is there any way of reading it without having an account?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
join us...

i'm too scattered right now to read all that, especially on facebook with all the asides and such. but from your summation above it seems like your government at work <rolleyes>. at least it seems the public was smart enough to see it for what it was.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any way of reading it without having an account?

Nope, in fact, that's the only reason I created a facebook in the first place. I wanted to set the record straight for the voters.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
join us...

i'm too scattered right now to read all that, especially on facebook with all the asides and such. but from your summation above it seems like your government at work <rolleyes>. at least it seems the public was smart enough to see it for what it was.

Well, I was just responding to the last person who posted on that. I haven't really commented on any of the other posts in the group.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you give a summation of the issue? What was the money proposed to be used for and what was it going to be used for? What was being hidden in the referendum?

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The money was going to be used to fund a new high school. Everyone supported it until they found out that the referendum included a clause that would have given the government authority to raise property taxes without the consent of the townspeople. Once that got exposed, the people rightfully voted it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, so the 35 cents was just the tip of the iceberg. Well, I hope they can propose a new one that will be acceptable so your community can get that new school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
I would like to give you my opinion, but I cannot log in unless I am a member. What I mean is that I don't wish to be a member there right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.