• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Earthquake Research

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Interesting find mathogre. Especially since I have a geology test this Friday and earthquakes are covered in the test. I may just read those articles completely to help me study.

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Look at the videos too! Most of them are Quicktime (with one wmv and one mpg). The 7th floor sim is amazing as it shows horizontal movement of something like just over 1'6". With Quicktime too you can pause and restart with the spacebar. Also, the sim views can be easily backtracked with the arrow keys.

This is good work. Good luck on your test!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Earthquakes are fascinating, though I'm not sure I'd care to be around a really big one.

The Mac application Sherlock has access to a link called USGS Earthquake Hazards. It shows a long list of quakes of mag 2.5 and greater in the last week. The top two are 6.0, one in Mexico and the other in Antarctica.

Here's a link to a USGS site for recent earthquakes:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

The web page shows an 8.1 in the Solomon Islands! Whee! Papua New Guinea is usually shakin' a lot too.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i just want to know if and when yosemite is going to blow up. that's pretty much my only earthquake fear living in minnesota.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked up Los Angeles, to my amazement, that earthquake did not even make the news. We are so used to accepting the fact that we don't have any control over it. We don't feel most of the earthquakes on a daily basis.
Major predictions have not come true, yet. And, there are some other areas of US that has had large earthquake activities in the past, which are not mentioned today with great importance.
We have lots and lots of supplies on a large covered rolling shelf in the back yard where we rotate all the necessities. Our tent, sleeping beds, dog beds, clean buckets, etc. are always within our reach. One of the most important things we do is to have "cannot lose these" important files in one place.
Thanks for the links.
P.S. To some extent, it is better not to know than having to deal with it happening every year, like hurricanes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Glad we haven't had a major one in a while. :bomb:

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We have lots and lots of supplies on a large covered rolling shelf in the back yard where we rotate all the necessities. Our tent, sleeping beds, dog beds, clean buckets, etc. are always within our reach. One of the most important things we do is to have "cannot lose these" important files in one place.

It sounds as if you're reasonably well prepared. My concern with a California earthquake would be loss of infrastructure, highways mainly. But then no matter where we live there's likely going to be some hazard to face.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't need to loot.

Sorry, sometimes my jokes come across serious.
What I meant was, since we are neighbors and I mentioned that I have lots of supplies, blah, blah, blah.
You get the point, I hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Sorry, sometimes my jokes come across serious.
What I meant was, since we are neighbors and I mentioned that I have lots of supplies, blah, blah, blah.
You get the point, I hope.

hahaa gotcha and no worries. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds as if you're reasonably well prepared. My concern with a California earthquake would be loss of infrastructure, highways mainly. But then no matter where we live there's likely going to be some hazard to face.

I agree. Many years ago, I had a teacher who lived near where I live now. We are not in a flood zone. She lived near a hillside. During some cold winter, the city decided to divert the flood waters that run down from the snow melt from nearby mountains. Her house got flooded about four feet, bringing rattle snakes and other hazards. During another year, her car was smashed by a large tree during high winds.
We also have lots of fires to worry about (many of them arsons). So, I am assuming, this the way of nature keeping us busy so we don't worry too much about earthquakes. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whew! I have to go check my blood pressure!
:eek: :D :eek:neye: :bandage: :eek: :doctor:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.