Comcast Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased an ibook G3 clamshell off of ebay. I am running OS X Tiger. I cannot seem to get this laptop connected to comcast high speed internet. I am constantly get the 169 IP address. I have been on the phone with Comcast tech support twice but to no avail. Can anyone help. We have run through all the settings. Like DHCP, Appletalk active. Renew, release ip address. Restart modem and computer. I have a valid activity light on my modem when plugged directly from the modem to the ibook. Even tried unchecking built in Ethernet and releasing that way. Still no progress. So they want me to call Apple. However I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions here first. I am still new to macs so please be patient with me.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you have no network when you're plugged directly from the modem to the ibook? weird.

have you tried a crossover cable? wondering if the ibook is too old to be able to auto-adjust for no crossover cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Have you tested your network port with a router or any other device? It would be good to do that, you would quickly find out if you simply had a bad port or not (I hope not though :()

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Your computer is considered vintage and apple will not offer you any phone support. I would say to connect the computer to the modem with ethernet and open network utility(finder>applications>utilities>network utility). Check the network interface in the network interface box. If you have no ip address or the link satus says inactive you might have a bad port. You could try a different ethernet cable if you haven't or connect using usb if you can. Apple would walk you through all these same steps plus charge you $49, if they took your call.

Picture 1.png

OP
vedder10
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.25ghz 512mb RAM 250GB hard drive
First of all thank you for your responses. I finally was able to get the ibook connected. I restarted my cable modem by completely unplugging the modem. The modem went through its self-test and the ibook connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.