Games with Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi People,

I have a MacBook Pro with 1,6 GHz and 1GB Ram.
I have installed Windows Vista on 32GB Partion and it runs great.

I have to admit that i really like the new Vista (since they copied so much stuff from Mac OS X:)) but i like it ...

I tried to play a few games now and they all worked.

I installed the new Lord of the Rings Online Beta... works
I installed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shaodws of Chernobyl ... works

My only problem is that both games dont really run nicely...
I have to put all graphics settings on low.

My question is now:

Does anyone have the same problems?
Did anyone ever try to run these games (or equal ones) on perhaps a more powerful version (i.e better MacBookPro or the Desktop versions) and did it run with higher graphic settings there?

thanks alot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I run Stalker on my MBP with 2 gb and it runs fine on high settings. Painkiller is one that keeps crashing - no matter what I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
important -

are those 2 games compatble with vista as if they arent then vista will have to convert the code of the game as you play it which will slow it right down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
good point - I should add that I'm using XP Pro - not vista. I believe my problem with PK is related to the dual-core.

Reaction score
I was going to set up Boot Camp today and install a couple of games, but I left my blank discs that I was going to use at home! D'oh! I'll have to wait until I get home tomorrow to install it. I contemplated buying a Mac game or two that I could play in OS X, but it's hard for me to justify paying $39-49 for a game I already own in Windows form and could probably just play in Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
My guess is the graphics card. If you have a 128 mb Graphics card, chances are Vista is hogging up a lot, probably too much, vRAM to play those games. You should be okay if you have 256mb vRAM though.

I've gamed using Boot Camp and XP Home. I've run Rome: Total War no problem and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion no problem. I'm running on an iMac 17" Intel, 1.83 GHz core duo processor, 512 mb RAM, and 128 mb vRAM.

OP
G
Reaction score
very good to know...

thanks people... so the descion is set and when i buy a new computer it will be again a mac... mac os x is just unstoppable and since games run pretty well with bootcamp there is no need to switch back !

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
just got stalker and i've got the 256Mb card on a iMac 20. i can't wait to get it on Boot. i've been watching that game in development for a LOOOOOOONG time, and waiting with drolling chops...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.