Classic Mac - hard disk caper!

Reaction score
:bomb:

Okay, bring out the experts for this one. Here's the situation (in brief...)
I have several classic compact macs which I love to use. great little computers. I use a mac emulator called Basilisk II to transfer files by hard disk and scsi controller to the macs. It runs Mac OS 7.5.5, and I have used Apple HD SC Setup to format the hard disk drives. This method has worked wonderfully for almost a year now - no problems. One day, I happened to have been formatting a drive when my computer froze (typical Microsoft) and I had to quit basilisk while it was formatting a drive. I restarted basilisk, and it did not recognize the drive - not even when I select what scsi drives I use when in the Basilisk Preferences. I shrugged it off and figured that it got ruined. I put in my other drive and did that same thing to see if it was just the drive at fault. SAME thing. So I have now "ruined" a total of 4 hard disks this way, unfortunately. However, one time, it only made one hard disk unreadable/writable, but it recognized it. Mac OS 7 informed me of a "Partition map Corruption." So I went on a wild goose chase looking for something that fixes partition maps for classic OS. No luck. I really want to get this working - I have 5 classic macs with no hard disks and it is really bugging me. I have an apple 40 MB, apple 80 MB, and two fujitsu seagate 2.1 GB drives compatible w/ Mac OS I have used before. I would be eternally grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction for a partition map fixer, a scsi manager for windows that will fix corrupt drives, or just about anything to get me out of the depths of despair, staring at those Macintoshes in the corner without boot volumes =(

Computers:

Macintosh Classic II (x 2)
Macintosh SE (x 2)
Macintosh SE FDHD

Reaction score
I do not know about the emulator in question so maybe this might help. Mac Hds with mac logos can only be formated with SC setup to be reconized as Mac. Drives in Mac clones have to use 3rd party softwear because HD Setup will not reconize non 'Logoed" drives. Try to reformat the drive in a Mac with set up as a Mac with no emulator.
A Norton repair floppy might fix the drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.