Newb question on mac mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Hi! I'm in the Leopard waiting room, like many others. My question is: Do I need to have a .Mac account to use Mac mail? When I say Mac Mail I'm thinking of mail that can be accessed through dashboard, as well as having an email address that end in @mac.com. How does this work? Someone please enlighten me...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
well, to use the mac mail app, u can have any email account. if it ends in @mac.com, its a .Mac account...not sure what ur asking

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I guess what I'm asking is, does OSX have any mail programs itself? Or do I need to pay for a .Mac account to be able to access mail directly through OSX itself?

Reaction score
Hi flilow06 & welcome to the Mac-Forums Leopard release waitin' room!

When someone purchases their mac, there is a .mac trial which allows the use of the @mac.com email addie for about 3mths AFAIRemember. After the trial period expires, you can't keep receiving mail at the @mac.com addie but you can use the email addie @mac.com as your iChat addie.

As far as DashBoard goes, you can receive mail notification for various clients; Gmail is the only one that springs to mind at present. You would need to download a widget for that.

Mac OS comes with its own emaill client ... Mail.app which is really a great email program and very easy to use.

Reaction score
i am using thunderbird as a host for my gmail account. i was not able to get gmail to work with the included mail app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I have a Yahoo account and cannot get it to work through Mail.app. It tells me I'm entering a wrong password or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I'm using gmail account with my Mail client and it works great! It was easy to configure Mail to gmail and I love it.

I had .Mac trial and then decided to go with gmail because I didn't want to pay for the address. Some people don't mind the cost, but I didn't really need it.

Hope this helps. :girl:

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I'm currently using Yahoo so I guess I'll wait and see if I can configure it to work with mail.app. If not, looks like .mac mail it is...

Anyone find it not worth the money... or vice versa??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
If you get your Yahoo account working, please let me know what you did cuz I can't seem to figure it out.

Reaction score
If you get your Yahoo account working, please let me know what you did cuz I can't seem to figure it out.

AFAIK you have to uprade to Yahoo! Mail Plus to have full Pop3 access.

Gmail is a great alternative and free!

By default the free Yahoo account is web-only and to get POP access (which is what "standard" email clients such as Mail.app use) you will need to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus for about $20/year. In addition to giving you POP access it will also disable ads and give you access to other services such as their "Address Guard" disposable email addresses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i think gmail works in mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
See my above post...yes, it definitely does and works great too. I use it all the time. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.