Powermac 7600 upgrade/OS

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and am looking for advice on what to do about my computer set up. I'm currently using a 7600 with crescendo 500/1mb/250 L2 cache, 320 mb ram, 120 gb ide HD (partitioned 55gb/55gb), VST ultratek/66, CD rom, ext. zip 250, running System 9.1. I use this computer solely for surfing the web, word processing, small graphics design, and small business management. No games, no music. I'm okay with the speed of this computer, and like everything about it with the exception of the browser---Mozilla 1.3.1. I'm finding that several websites are not compatible with this browser. Any suggestions about where I can go with doing some upgrades that would enable me to find another browser? I guess OSX is out of the question, because it comes on a DVD.

My most used programs are Claris 4 and Quark 3.2. I'd like to keep using these programs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jackie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You might try iCab, which is (was?) the last browser for OS 9
http://www.icab.de/dl.php

As for OS X...you could get a CD version of OS X; they did make them available. You'd need XPostFacto (http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/) to run it. You could probably do Jaguar (10.2), but I'd be very impressed if you got Panther (10.3) running on that contraption. OS X would let you run a more recent browser (an early version of Safari, or the latest version of Firefox.) Your old apps would continue to run in Classic much as they do now.

Or go find a second machine to use as a web-browsing box. A cheap PC with Linux, perhaps, or a slightly newer Mac.

Good luck, and kudos for sticking with that old machine for so long.

Reaction score
There are several browsers out there like Icab,Opera,Netscape,the best would be Omniweb if you can find a OS9 version they pulled it from there site. The only problems I have had are with big multimedia sites like Yahoo,Etc. but I don't mind the cut down web page.Let someone else look at all the ads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.