Where's it at?!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
We finally got our iMac 20 and, at the moment, the only thing I could think of was getting Parallels and BootCamp set up. BootCamp, no problem. Just time consuming with Win-Slo-Mo. Parallels, no biggie. Again, just time consuming. And then the search begins. Options, features, oohs, aahs... I'm still a new Mac'er, gimme a break.

Anyway. So now I'm trying to show my wife this AWESOME thing called Coherence. And I can't seem to get it to load. Actually, I can't seem to find it... or mention of it... or index of it... anywhere. :eek:

So now the mad hunt begins. I look in forums everywhere, and on the Parallels site, and finally I clue in on the Build... everybodys in the 3000's and I'm in *GASP* 1970... October 2006!! Right of the shelf of the store. Coherence was still just a glimmer in someone's eye...

Anyway, I wrote the Parallels crew before I went stomping into the store, but I just wanted to share a very valuable lesson that could potentially be very expensive had it been some other software... Aside from the wow factor that most PC'ers get when they first go into the Apple stores, I haven't been really that thrilled with the service - probably resulting from my iPod replacements. But I'm better now. if i could just figure out how to get another bootcamp drive in there for NTFS...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have no clue what you are talking about
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The version that seems to be in most retail stores is 1970, however once purchased you can use your activation key and download a more recent build of Parallels. I think the latest build is 3188.

Enjoy your iMac!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yep, 3188 is the latest, I'm on the trial version now. I don't know if I'll buy.

One thing I learned though, 1GB of RAM is not enough if you want to give 512 to Parallels. I had to up mine to 2GB. It was a good excuse to do something I wanted to anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1970 is the stable 1.0 release. The latest builds are all betas that will culminate in a 2.0 release.

So you shouldn't be "stomping" or writing to anybody as Coherence is NOT available as part of the retail package. To get it, you have to upgrade to the latest beta, which is free to owners of the retail version of Parallels. If you want a retail box that has all the latest features, then wait until 2.0 is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Kash is correct, Coherence is in the latest Beta of Parallels. Microsoft are the ones who sell beta versions in shops, not Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Will current Parallels owners be able to upgrade to 2.0 free or pay an upgrade fee?

OP
DaYCEnt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
The version that seems to be in most retail stores is 1970, however once purchased you can use your activation key and download a more recent build of Parallels. I think the latest build is 3188.

A-HA! SO NOW THE TRUTH IS OUT!!! I AM a goober... I guess it's a good thing I didn't go stormtrooper in the store then... :bomb: so i'll be on the site in the next 5 minutes to find that upgrade/update whatever.

And yes, i absolutely love my iMac. My hardcore PC gamer dad has given the raised eyebrows of 'Ooh, i like that..." so there's hope for him yet. and yes, for good parallels use, i can already feel two sticks of 1Gb coming very shortly... hmm... my daughters 4th birthday is coming up in June... I think she needs more memory!!! :p

Reaction score
Will current Parallels owners be able to upgrade to 2.0 free or pay an upgrade fee?

They way I took it when I bought my version, is that you get free upgrades until 2.0 is released but then you have to buy 2.0 BUT I could be wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.