• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Would you know great music if you heard it...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Not if the music is of a type I dislike or merely tolderate. It's too easy for mediocrity and worse to be spun and hyped into "greatness." I've long ceased caring about figures on the fringe of my consciousness.

Occasionally I'm surprised at reading about or seeing stories on TV about famous people and their tribulations or even their deaths that make news for weeks but of whom I've never heard. I think it's sensory overload, and I think everyone living anywhere there are TVs, movies, radio, iPods and all the rest blaring at them 24 hours a day are affected, if not victimized by the never-ending cacophony. At some point, self-preservaton demands it be tuned out.

The Washington Post's test was unfair and part of the overall problem, not some lession to be learned by subway-station plebs who must constantly run merely to stay in the same place and who, because of that, might be less likely to know the Post's version of kulture when it hits them between the eyes. With this story, the Post is playing to its audience carved out of the teeming masses as much as any entertainer and TV show of whatever stripe.

I'd probably ignore the greatest rap artist who ever lived, so I can't shake my head in disbelief at those who might feel the same about a violinist.

L'Enfant Plaza probably was chosen by the Post more for the irony of its name in relation to the point of the story than by chance; there's more than a little snobbery in the piece. All the same, it was worth the read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.