PDA

View Full Version : iPhone & Internet

killawattz
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I was looking on Apple's website, and it said that the iPhone supports Wi-fi. Does that mean that I would be able to use a wireless internet connection to connect to the internet on my phone?

dekan
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
you certainly can.. http://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/

killawattz
04-06-2007, 08:48 AM
actually, what my real question was: if I'm using a wireless network, such as the one at my school, will that go towards my cingular data plan, or will it be free for me, because wireless internet at my school is free? or will I have to increase my data plan?

applecrisp
04-07-2007, 04:35 AM
nope it should be free becasue it doesn't require any data transfer to cingualr as far as I know...

new question though do you think you would be able to use the iphone as a wireless modem with wifi?

fleurya
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure what you would need to use it for as a modem, but it's possible.

To the OP - I have a hunch you'll be required to buy some kind of unlimited data plan for it anyway. Besides, with as much data this thing is going to be pulling down just to bring up full web pages, you're going to want an unlimited data plan unless you are constantly in WiFi range!

Kulokoy
05-27-2007, 12:39 AM
actually, what my real question was: if I'm using a wireless network, such as the one at my school, will that go towards my cingular data plan, or will it be free for me, because wireless internet at my school is free? or will I have to increase my data plan?

this would really suck if we have to sub for an unllimited data plan.

i hope its liek one of those pda phone where you can just surf the web via your own wireless network without any data plan. im not buying one if i have to sub a data plan.

Arekisu
05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I may be possible that the phone will have more than one mode.

SE music phones have a music only mode (phone function being turned off), my Nokia N80 has an offline mode (phone function off, but wi-fi still useable).

The iPhone may have a combination of those functions. Well we won't know till nearer the launch.

MikeYMS
05-30-2007, 01:53 PM
They (AT&T) have mentioned that they're likely going to require an unlimited plan...i really hope they're joking. :P

trpnmonkey41
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I would expect it to require an unlimited plan for internet with all of the widgets downloading info and websites downloading full pages

Original Nerd
06-06-2007, 11:25 PM
They (AT&T) have mentioned that they're likely going to require an unlimited plan...i really hope they're joking. :P

This will be a requirement. No joke.

kilo15
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
an unlimited plan is only $20. I know you can use other cingular smart phones as a modem for your macbook. your phone almost always has signal. you can use the phone as a "router" for about $70 a month.

Original Nerd
06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
an unlimited plan is only $20. I know you can use other cingular smart phones as a modem for your macbook. your phone almost always has signal. you can use the phone as a "router" for about $70 a month.

The $20 plan is not for PDA's which the iPhone will fall under. The PDA unlimited is $40.

kilo15
06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
The $20 plan is not for PDA's which the iPhone will fall under. The PDA unlimited is $40.
Darn. I thought it was a smart phone.