• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quicktime Question

Reaction score
I just picked up a Mac Mini with OS X 10.4 and I have had nothingbut problems with it, everyone tells me that Macs are so much better then PC's. I finally craved and went with a mac. Now when I try to click on a Trailer link on Yahoo Movies and click on 720p The download manager pops up and says "Filename.qtl" cannot create file. I don't know what to do, but I am about to just return this thing to the store and buy an HP. If anyone could shed some light on this situation that would be great. Thanks.

|-Goku-|

OP
G
Reaction score
A link to this trailer would be much appreciated. Furthermore, have you tried watching trailers via www.apple.com/trailers or Front Row?

I have and it works fine. But I don't want to be limited just by the trailers Apple has on there site. They don't have Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Trailer on there site. So I have to go somewhere else and find it and I found it on Yahoo, but I have to copy the link address and use "Open URL" in quicktime to watch it. Also, can I not download .exe files to the desktop on a Mac? I need to get drivers for a PC and they won't download. It also says Cannot create file.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mo/atworldsendtrailer_720.qtl

|-Goku-|

Reaction score
Have you tried a different browser? I somethimes had the same problem with Safari so I downloaded Opera for mac and watch/download the stuff Safari can't handle... Works for me.

Edit: I just clicked on your link above, Safari downloaded the file and I opened it with quicktime watching the trailer. It works with my MBP

OP
G
Reaction score
Have you tried a different browser? I somethimes had the same problem with Safari so I downloaded Opera for mac and watch/download the stuff Safari can't handle... Works for me.

Edit: I just clicked on your link above, Safari downloaded the file and I opened it with quicktime watching the trailer. It works with my MBP

So is there something wrong with my OS do i need to change a setting somewhere?

EDIT: I just tried downloading Opera and it said "Cannot create file" so what do I need to do now?

Reaction score
do you have any codecs installed? (divx, ac3,...) don't know if that would change anything, but I have those...

OP
G
Reaction score
do you have any codecs installed? (divx, ac3,...) don't know if that would change anything, but I have those...

No I dont but I can't download anything, everytime I try to download something it says cannot create file. And also when I insert a blank CDR it doesn't show up on my desktop. Is there something wrong with my mac?

Reaction score
before you install a new OS: I found a post about that kind of problem through google and they said:

Sounds like you need to repair permissions using Disk Utility. Open DU, select your drive, click on "repair permissions". If it does repair permissions, do it again to make sure everything's OK.

give that a shot

EDIT/PS: Shouldn't be a problem nowadys and sorry for this stupid question, but I wanted to ask that just for the record: Your disk isn't full, is it?

Reaction score
another thing: check the preferences for the settings of your download folder for safari. if you have more than one users and you are trying to save files for instance on another users desktop, you might get that error...

location: preferences pane -> general. maybe just set it to your own desktop again (in case it is already) and try to download something...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.