Install XP or Vista w/Bootcamp

Reaction score
Well I am awaiting the arrival of my new Powerbook, it was supposed to be delivered yesterday but no luck. And I see that the new Bootcamp release allows you to install Vista. Given that the new Mac will satisfy the Vista specs because it comes with 2Gig of RAM and has enough HP I know it can handle it.
I plan to install windows to play some games that I already have for PC such as Battlefield2, GTA ... and to run my GPS mapping software that came with my Garmin GPS because it comes in Windows only version.

So money issue aside if you were me would you go with a good old proven XP SP2, or try the new technology and dabble with Vista? I haven't used Vista before at all so I am kinda interested to see for myself what MS put out this time. Yet hearing all the latest reports about it's bugs and it's weird memory usage strategy of consuming every available bit to turn into RAM disk -I'm interested to see if it lives up the hype or flops, has me a bit worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
Firstly, you say Powerbook but one can only assume you mean MacBook Pro. (Powerbooks won't run Windows natively as its a PPC processor)
I would personally stick with XPSP2.
I have used Vista and discarded it because its not ready. Before getting Vista, I'd be waiting for the service packs to come out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yup I meant MacBook Pro, sorry.
Yeah I know what you mean about waiting for Vista service packs :( That is why I am undecided now. If this was deciding on my primary everyday OS, then I'd be sticking for XP. But since I am not going to store/use it for anything important I am itching to may be give it a go. Just wondering if anyone has already done an OS X/Vista boot on their Macs. Not that hard to back up a few saved game files and reformat the partition when Windows Vista blows itself up right? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.