• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Slideshow to DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GB SDR, 200 GB ATA
I made a slideshow on iPhoto and was really happy with the result.....didn't realize I would not be able to burn it to DVD. Tried exporting to iDVD but the result is very poor....many wavy horizontal lines buzzing through the pics. I bought my macbook because i thought it would be easier to do video stuff but am finding it very frustrating. Do I need to buy different software to get a slideshow I can put on a DVD for television viewing??? If so, which one is the best??

Reaction score
If your slideshow looks OK in iPhoto it should look pretty much the same in iDVD. No other software is needed.

I've just made a slideshow of photos from a friend's wedding in iPhoto and exported it to iDVD to burn it.

I can't help with a diagnosis, I'm afraid. Were you doing anything else during the export process that might've affected it?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I made a slideshow on iPhoto and was really happy with the result.....didn't realize I would not be able to burn it to DVD. Tried exporting to iDVD but the result is very poor....many wavy horizontal lines buzzing through the pics. I bought my macbook because i thought it would be easier to do video stuff but am finding it very frustrating. Do I need to buy different software to get a slideshow I can put on a DVD for television viewing??? If so, which one is the best??

Unless you have a really good DVD/TV combination photos will look pretty poor when displayed in TV SD formats.

The maximum usable display resolution available on SD formats is only about 640x400 pixels worth.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Unless you have a really good DVD/TV combination photos will look pretty poor when displayed in TV SD formats.

The maximum usable display resolution available on SD formats is only about 640x400 pixels worth.

Amen-Moses

I don't think she's burned it to DVD yet. Reading the post, I get the impression the preview is poor in iDVD.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GB SDR, 200 GB ATA
Martin, I have actually burned it to dvd, and played it back on my computer. The wavy, dancing horizontal lines are so distracting that I can't watch it. The original photos used were taken on my daughter's Rebel digital SLR and are therefore very good quality. She is a Mac user, but is at uni in Vancouver, so is not here to help me through my teething pains on Mac. Since you were able to do this with a good result I will try once more......but no, I was not running anything else, nor did i even touch the computer whilst it was burning (I read somewhere that I should not do that). Thanks for your input.
Carolyn

Reaction score
Martin, I have actually burned it to dvd, and played it back on my computer. The wavy, dancing horizontal lines are so distracting that I can't watch it. The original photos used were taken on my daughter's Rebel digital SLR and are therefore very good quality. She is a Mac user, but is at uni in Vancouver, so is not here to help me through my teething pains on Mac. Since you were able to do this with a good result I will try once more......but no, I was not running anything else, nor did i even touch the computer whilst it was burning (I read somewhere that I should not do that). Thanks for your input.
Carolyn

I also had similar problems, I think it has to do with the compression from slideshow to .mov file or from .mov to mpg2 (or mpg4 dont remember which) for dvd burning. I used the ken burns effect and see some of what I think is called artifacting. horizontal lines that randomly appear as the photo is being zoomed or panned. I expected much better quality also....
I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but I'm a pretty technical person, but I may be overlooking something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
While we're at it (and I don't mean to hijack the thread) but is it possible to insert a slideshow into an i-movie as part of the movie?

Reaction score
I've just played the DVD I created in my computer. When I watch it in DVD Player I can see some of the wavy lines you mention, faintly, on some of the slides. But only some. The effect seems more noticeable on slides in which there is vertical movement, and/or when movement is quicker (say, when panning from top to bottom on a large image).

I've just played it on the TV and can't see the lines at all. Picture quality is great.

The only variable I can think of is the media. What kind of DVDs are you using? Mine's a Verbatim DVD-R. I bought some cheap DVDs to record old films onto from VHS tape last week and they wouldn't play at all well. If you have cheap DVDs, perhaps better quality ones will do the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.