Will Gimp work on my iBook G3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
Im fixing up my ibook, and right now it has a 30 GB Hard Drive, 800mhz, 256MB Ram, and soon OSX. I was wondering if It will run ok on this? Does anyone else use Gimp on there G3s?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Gimp will work fine.
If you don't want to use X11, try Seashore which is an Aqua native Gimp port (NO X11) or Chocoflop.

OP
rollershoer4MAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
Are those kind of like running enviroments for PCs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The simplest way I can put this is, Gimp is to Adobe Photoshop like OpenOffice is to Microsoft Office.
Mmm, not entirely correct. GIMP was never intended - nor will it ever be - a Photoshop replacement.
It DOES provide many of the functions that PS has, but it's not meant to replace it.
For the 'average user' it fills the needs though.

Seashore is an Aqua native port of GIMP - not as feature filled, yet, but has basic image editing functions that would probably do a lot of people just fine.

There's also Chocoflop - silly name, great app, supports CoreImage.
The developer is very responsive to bug fixes (recently he released 2 updates in one week when nasty bugs and irritants surfaced).

Seashore is free (as in speech, not beer) and Chocoflop is free to use but you have to answer simple math questions to save (e.g., choose "8x4=32" or "8x5=50")

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I very much know that by the way. It still was a good basic of what the Gimp is.

NOTHING can replace Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I very much know that by the way. It still was a good basic of what the Gimp is.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't ;)
At the crazy pricing & package scheme Adobe/Macromedia has come up with for the Create Suite we Mac AND Windows users REALLLLLLY need a viable alternative that won't cost us a 2nd mortgage or our first born child!
Remember back in the day, if you wanted JUST Photoshop, you could download/purchase JUST photoshop???

And they wonder why they have to bend over backwards to come up with anti-piracy and licensing schemes. :bomb:

Reaction score
The simplest way I can put this is, Gimp is to Adobe Photoshop like OpenOffice is to Microsoft Office.

Excellent comparison! Reminds me of an IQ test I once took ....

Q1. Hand is to glove like a Mac is to:

a) Platypus,
b) Quoll,
c) Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't ;)
At the crazy pricing & package scheme Adobe/Macromedia has come up with for the Create Suite we Mac AND Windows users REALLLLLLY need a viable alternative that won't cost us a 2nd mortgage or our first born child!
Remember back in the day, if you wanted JUST Photoshop, you could download/purchase JUST photoshop???

And they wonder why they have to bend over backwards to come up with anti-piracy and licensing schemes. :bomb:

Agreed completely! Yeah I remember the good old says, just Photoshop without the suite.

Some I know love The Gimp and feel it's as good as PS, but for me only PS will do the job. I am spoiled I guess! :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

You say that, but many films use a fork of Gimp for special effects work.

A bad workman blames his tools :)

Have a look at the film credits:

http://www.cinepaint.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Keywords: a fork of the gimp for special effects work.
Cinepaint won't do most users that aren't in the film industry any good. Cinepaint is not the gimp.
The code has been modified to suit the needs of the film/animation industry, not Joe Q. Average that wants a graphics editing program to touch up his photos, create web graphics, etc.
So the point is still valid and there's not blame laid anywhere - GIMP will not replace Photoshop ;)
Now a fork of the gimp that will work for the average user: see my earlier post mentioning Seashore - GIMP ported to Aqua. No X11.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

A bad workman? I don't blame anything. I just do NOT LIKE the Gimp. Forcing someone to use something is not a good thing. I use the tools that work with me and not against me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I hate to be contraversial, but GIMP is almost as powerful as PS. The basic download may not be, but there are lots of addons, filters etc that really bring the specs up.

Now in terms of ease of use, support, speed etc, it might be miles away. but in terms of what is achievable, it's not too far off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.