• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Reccomend a collectable mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I want to start a Mac Collection. Not particularly new macs, I'm talking about starting with old cheap ones then work my way up to a rare vintage.

I'll start low. Perhaps you could help me find something cool for $100 or less, including shipping.

Reaction score
I am not really much for collecting old computers, but I think an original iMac or an Apple clone might be a neat thing to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
a cube, i bought a fully functional upgraded cube for 50 bucks. also look for a G4 imac, their design is awesome. Other more rare favorites are the 20th anniversary mac, and the macintosh tv, some non computers but cool things by apple are the apple quicktake, one of the first digital cameras, any of the apple newtons, and also a very little known project called the apple interactive television box, search it on wikipedia and find out more. Of course, its always interesting to find a first generation ipod too. Also, perhaps not a real apple product, but rather technology they licensed to bandai, is the apple pippin, google all those up!

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good ideas. Im curious who would be that dumb to sell a Cube for that cheap...

I wanted to look for some all in one design actually, like a Mac Classic. I want to eventually see about sticking a Mac Mini in one. I don't know though. I think one thing that would be great is an iPod Nano to stick in the truck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cube is great as as been posted as well as the first iMac, but if you want older try an SE or SE-30. I still need a mint SE-30 for my Mac collection. I have quite a few older macs so if I can help in any way, let me know!

OP
iBeldar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're willing to let anything go for under $100 inc. shipping, let me know. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
so you want something like this to start your collection?

Just wondering...
why all the macs?
it has been done before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Why not an original Apple ][ ? I am sure that with a little time and diligence, you could pick one up on eBay.

Via the same mechanism, I am now building back an old Gateway 486DX-33 PC with original RAM, Disk, etc. along with DOS/Win3.1. No real reason, just doing it for fun. The basic machine plus every part you could need can be found on eBay - I had to visit frequently for a few days to find everything I needed, but I have it all now, and prices are remarkably good.

Hopefully, you could do the same for an Apple ][ ? I have been thinking about doing so myself, again just for fun!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why not an original Apple ][ ? I am sure that with a little time and diligence, you could pick one up on eBay.

Via the same mechanism, I am now building back an old Gateway 486DX-33 PC with original RAM, Disk, etc. along with DOS/Win3.1. No real reason, just doing it for fun. The basic machine plus every part you could need can be found on eBay - I had to visit frequently for a few days to find everything I needed, but I have it all now, and prices are remarkably good.

Hopefully, you could do the same for an Apple ][ ? I have been thinking about doing so myself, again just for fun!

Sounds fun. Did that with an older Dell 2 months back. Just something to do and a lot of fun for me.

Reaction score
The nostalgia got the better of me. I dug out the old Mac SE that was hidden under a pile of junk and plugged it up for the first time in 5 or more years. The internal HD flashes but doesn't mount. An external 120Mb drive does work and I was able to browse through some old MacPaint, MacDraw, and WriteNow files. It even has MSWord 5.0. What a nice machine that was in its day.

Does anyone know any way of taking an old MacPaint file and converting it to anything that can be saved and reprinted in a modern computer? My son did some scribblings when he was very young and it would be nice to keep them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
I suggest you get your hands on a Apple Lisa! The mother of all macs!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.