iChat connection lost

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just bought a Macbook (first Mac ever), and I'm still in the process of getting everything set up. I have a quick question about iChat. When I'm connected to my wireless network at my house, iChat and the Internet both work fine. When I'm connected to the wireless network at my girlfriend's house, the Internet works fine, but iChat doesn't connect. I click connect, and it tries to for a second, then I get an error that says the connection to AIM was lost. I looked around online and saw some posts on other forums about opening ports and such, but my girlfriends computer (an iBook, I think) connects to iChat fine. The only difference that I saw between our computers that might make a difference is that my OS firewall is set up and her's is not. I looked through the settings on my firewall and everything seems fine, so I'm a little lost here.

Again, I'm very new to the Mac so I apologize in advance if I'm explaining things incorrectly. I'm still kind of in my Windows state of mind.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I am no expert on this, but when your there do you open up the connection doctor too see what numbers are coming up?

Do you and the GF get into iChat at the same time? If so check both connections at the same time to see if they are matching up. The bandwidth may be too much for their connection speed. Just some thoughts.

This will also bump this back up for someone more experienced...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.