• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DVR - is yours becoming a movie warehouse?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was just thinking about this while reading a apple tv thread. i'm not sure what i would do with it since i'm already sitting on hours and hours of programming on my DVR - and i don't even have any pay channels.

besides tv shows my wife and i regularly record, such as:
the office, my name is earl, the riches, heroes, queer as folk, the sopranos (on a&e), dr phil, the simpsons, family guy, south park, rescue me, etc.
but these get cleaned out prety regularly.

i'm also usually sitting on at least 10 or 15 movies. I'm not at home now, but i know for sure i've got:
citizen kane, the good the bad and the ugly, bring me the head of alfredo garcia, nobody knows, drive well sleep carefully: on the road with death cab for cutie, lords of dogtown, the last angry man, watership down, the french connection.

do the rest of you who have DVRs/Tivo also do this, or do you keep it pretty clean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Same here. Lost and Rome episodes, with all of the Star Wars in HD. Most of the stuff is recorded in HD, so I don't have a WHOLE lot of things.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in a way, i'm lucky not to have an HD compatible tv. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I erase everything from my DVR after we watch it.
The stuff I see that I may want to keep, have been using my PC as a DVR, and then burn it to DVD.

That's why I'm looking at external drives right now, could just keep the stuff on a drive and skip the burn process. I think I could get away with a drive in the L.R. hooked up to my MBP and then use HDMI to the TV. No way the wife is going to let me have a desktop in there.

Or maybe if I get rich some day, I could get this, too cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
100 hours sounds like alot, but it gets filled up sooo fast. And theres alot of things that i would like to keep, not delete right after i watch it, so i usually end up just recording to an old-fashioned video tape :)

I couldnt imagine life without DVR :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.