Privacy in University network!

Reaction score
Hey there!
I access Wireless Internet at my University with my Macbook.
When I go to the Internet my browser (Safari) always warns me about privacy, saying that my information could easily be accessed by a third party.
Because I am not keen with Computers could someone please tell me, whether password, account numbers, mails or stuff like that, can be accesse by a third party or whether it is just the internet adresses that I am going to.
Unfortunately I have no Idea.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Hovestadt

Reaction score
Any email you read or send, any website you view, and any information you transmit to a website should be considered the equivalent of being written on a postcard: most people don't have access to it but anyone who really wanted to could see it.

The only way around this is through encryption. Many (though not all) online businesses use encrypted web sites that do an ok job of keeping your data secure. You can also encrypt your emails if you want to, though the person on the receiving end needs the capability to decrypt them.

"Privacy" and "internet" are pretty much two polar opposites.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey thanks. The thing is i can´t access encrypted web pages. I have to accept some certificates and only by doing that I am allowed to access the internet with the University Hotspot. I don´t care for my privacy, but the University restricted the use of ebay and youtube and chat rooms in general, but I want to use them, but I don´t want to get into trouble.
?????

Reaction score
Switch schools.

:ninja:

If the school is doing something at the network level that prevents clients (that's you) from accessing those sites, you are probably out of luck. You might look around to see if there is some harmless-looking portal site that would allow you to get into eBay and YouTube without going to those specific addresses.

Find a Starbuck's nearby and do all your study there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
What school is this if I may ask?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I browse the internet generally and do work related stuff at university but I would never shop online or bank online when connected to the university network. They really don't take security very seriously here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I used my MaBook in the university wireless network and a window opened with a message of someone asking permission to access my Mac. I just have to deny it access ... many times. I have the confidence that the OSX security cannot be easlity penetrated.

You should also make sure that your Mac firewall is turned on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.