Some questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Hi everyone,

I´m reading a lot through this forum lately, but I still have some doubts regarding parallels and boot camp.

1) Parallels is a third-part software. Does boot camp comes with OS X?

2) I understand that parallels emulates windows, so that´s why we don´t need to reboot our machine. The inverse is true for boot camp, letting windows to run on its own, full speed.

3) We should use either parallels or boot camp, right? I´m asking because I saw a guy running parallels with boot camp, and I just don´t know why. What´s the benefits? What´s the better option?

Tks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
1. it is predicted that boot camp comes out with OS X 10.5 (leopard). Not any version of OS X 10.4 (tiger)

3.Parallels can be opened, and run both mac and pc os, but speed is greatly reduced. In boot camp, you use all of your computer processing towards windows so that windows is the only os running.

OP
andrebnu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Hey Nagger,

first of all, tks for your answer.

I still don´t understand with run both applications at the same time!

I mean...that guy loaded parallels....and I saw a WIN Xp windows written boot camp on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Bootcamp does not come with Tiger, but is available for free download. Basically all Bootcamp is is a drive partitioner (doesn't loose any data unlike a normal partitioner) and drivers for Apple's hardware.

Parallels runs in a virtual environment, which makes it a tiny bit slower (not noticeable to most people) and kills your graphics performance. Therefore if you want to run games or graphics intensive apps you will want to use Bootcamp. But if you just want to run Windows apps (like IE for web testing) then Parallels will be fine.

Either way you choose you will need a licensed copy of Windows XP (service pack 2 for Bootcamp, SP1 will work for Parallels).

OP
andrebnu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I´m not a gamer for a long time now...Just would like to have the winXP option for some specific applications (i.e. MS Money), so I believe Parallels is enough for me, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
yes, parallels would be enough for MS Money

OP
andrebnu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.