Reputation System Tweaks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Tweaks have been made to the reputation system. Level counts, amount of rep awarded, and rep spread have all been adjusted.

Just a reminder, asking for rep, in a post or in your sig is prohibited by our forum rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Not that its any of my business but may I ask why?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, it is super annoying.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because the begging for rep was getting rather annoying and the rep pimping in sigs were also getting annoying.

There were also a few people who were clearly pumping up each others rep points. This needed to be rectified.

All in all, the changes were made to better balance the system

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i think you removed something from either this post or the other similar one in the rep system question. can't remember exaclty what it said, but something to the effect of the system being designed to help denote those who really help others within the community.

i definitely have given and recieved rep for things other than just helping. i'm also not sure if i'm one of the people at which you directed the "pumping" comment.
let me offer a counterpoint to only repping for help. as you've probably seen, i'm a huge supporter of, and believer in, the community that makes a place like this thrive. often i'll rep others for insightful comments, or really good jokes, or great web finds. things that are not necessarily simple mac related q+a. but these things do keep a large number of people comming back, and keep them in good spirits while they're here.
it's one thing, along with the tight moderation (which i enjoy) that makes this the place that it is. it makes me proud to be an active member, even more proud to have been a MotM, and it makes me enjoy directing other people here from places like other non-mac related forums and facebook and such.

if a little rep for non-help related material is part of the cost for this community, i'd serioulsy consider this before either smacking wrists or removing the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Well said Eric.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thank you Stretch.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eric, if you actually read my comments throughout the history of the rep system, you'll find I completely agree with you. Rep is meant for both helpful people and building community or the opposite thereof. So before you try to defend a position, be sure to understand the opponent. In this case, you don't have one. ;)

The rep pumpers I was speaking of in particular were specifically trading rep points for the purpose of raising their count. It was in their comments they were leaving to each other. This was not simply awarding rep for good posts, this was purposely using the system to increase rep.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
alrighty then. just wanted to be sure.
:)

M

MacHeadCase

I'm with eric on that too. I rep for help, things that I didn't know that I learned from someone but also for other stuff like funny jokes or cool posts.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm with eric on that too. I rep for help, things that I didn't know that I learned from someone but also for other stuff like funny jokes or cool posts.

Me too - for a minute there, I thought I was doing something wrong. Glad to hear we're ALL on the same page.

Still think the rep system is absolutely outstanding and distinctive. I've still yet to see another forum that has something similar - and can think of more than a few off the top of my head that could use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I think the rep system works really well here. I've seen another forum where the whole rep system was eliminated because of abuse. In that forum a brand new member's rep could go sky high their first day.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Because the begging for rep was getting rather annoying and the rep pimping in sigs were also getting annoying.

There were also a few people who were clearly pumping up each others rep points. This needed to be rectified.

All in all, the changes were made to better balance the system

Just to make it clear for all, is it against the forum rules to say in your sig to use the Rep system? I know begging, asking for, Etc is against the rules and just plain wrong. Just want to be sure on that one point since many have that in their sigs.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good point for clarification dtravis.

i'm guessing my current one would be acceptable too. ;)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to make it clear for all, is it against the forum rules to say in your sig to use the Rep system? I know begging, asking for, Etc is against the rules and just plain wrong. Just want to be sure on that one point since many have that in their sigs.

While it could be argued that it's borderline, we've always allowed a small text blurb that says something like "Use the rep system" or "remember the rep system".

What's been happening lately are much more blatant pleas for people to give rep points.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point for clarification dtravis.

i'm guessing my current one would be acceptable too. ;)

Yes, subtlety is the key when pushing the rep system. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
While it could be argued that it's borderline, we've always allowed a small text blurb that says something like "Use the rep system" or "remember the rep system".

What's been happening lately are much more blatant pleas for people to give rep points.

Cool. At one point people did not even know of the system and a lot were not using it so the reminders in the sigs, but lately it's really being well used. Thanks for the clarification!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
ahh...seems like such a silly thing to be worrying about...a few green dots? but then again, i know how good it feels when u get it :)

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly.

In order to keep the rep system happy, it needs to grow organically. People artificially using it or becoming obsessed with it will ruin the entire system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.