Ubuntu Configuration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
I have Ubuntu Dual Booting on my Macbook and there are a few things that I've been trying to get configured but can't quite figure out so any help would be awesome!

First off the I can't right click so I was wondering if anyone got the two fingure scrolling/right click on there Ubuntu working or how I could even just get right click

Second I was wondering how to configure my wireless internet, Ubuntu doesn't seem to let me connect using wireless.

Thanks Again!

Reaction score
Are you able to right-click by holding Control first? I have a desktop so don't really know about MacBook keyboarding ....

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I'm not able to control click :eek:neye:

Got Wireless working though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Intel C2D 2GB RAM 120GB Hard Drive
how did you get it to dual boot?

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 days of not sleeping. But really, its ridiculously hard to install. I only did it because I wanted to run Beryl.

After trying about 3 other different guides this is the one I found that worked best:

Dual Boot Ubuntu

I'd advise you not attempt it if you do not know anything about using commands in terminal. But if you do decide to try when you get to the part that says to type "sudo parted" in terminal, instead type "sudo parted /dev/sda" and another thing is ignore the % signs infront of the commands if it says to type "% sudo mkdir /mnt/ubuntu" only type "sudo mkdir /mnt/ubuntu" in terminal.

After you get ubuntu installed and the lilo booter configured you will restart and the rEFIt OS selecter will show up. Go to the partioning tool and sync the partitions. Then when you try to boot up in ubuntu you will get blank screen. Insert the Ubuntu install cd. then force shutdown the computer. restart it and while the disk is in the rEFIt OS selector will appear again. You will see three choices Mac OSX, Ubuntu, and Ubuntu CD select the middle one just Ubuntu and it will load up. After that it will you can eject the cd and you wont have the problem again. Once you get Ubuntu up and running it will ask you to install updates when you do and restart the computer you it Ubuntu wont boot up. Shut off the computer and boot Ubuntu from the cd when Ubuntu boots up from the cd you will have to Chroot your ubuntu partition again and run lilo. to do this you repeat the steps in the tutorial from where it says "sudo mkdir /mnt/ubuntu" until the part where it says to "sudo umount /mnt/ubuntu" after that just restart. the computer and ubuntu should start up again. if not reinsert the disc and boot up in ubuntu thats on your partion but with the ubuntu disk in the drive. Then it should be fine.

After that your going to run into these problems:

Your backlight control will not function, but there is a fix. I pieced mine together from various tutorials and finally got it working, even though im not quit sure how.

Putting the computer in suspend will not work but just type this in terminal to get it working: sudo ln -bs /bin/true /usr/sbin/laptop-detect

Your wireless will not work. Again I got mine working by pieceing lots of tutorials together. So when it comes to this google is your friend.

Your right click will not work. Again I'm not quite sure how I got it working but I did. Use google and search around for the solutions. Some work some dont. My lower enter key is my right click and my right command key is my middle click. This is if your using the trackpad. It works fine if your using an external mouse.

Scrolling with two fingers will not work. Still havent found a solution.

If this doesn't work for you you can try this tutorial but I personally havent tried it. Good Luck if you go for the install!

Link

Reaction score
Problems arose when I tried right-clicking on my MBP's trackpad. There's no right-click on the trackpad since Apple still believes in the one-button approach. On Apple's Boot Camp discussion board, I found a small app called applemouse that allows you to use the control key to toggle a right-click. If you want, using a standard USB three-button mouse without applemouse works fine also.

I just discovered the above info so it seems that Apple only give you that mouse functionality within the OS X environment.

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can enable it in Ubuntu its just a complicated process people have done it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.