• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macs in Paradise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
No, actually this is NOT a theological discourse about the eternal future that awaits Macs! :dive: ...nor is it a discussion of Silicon Heaven (for you Red Dwarf fans out there!). Instead, it is about Macs enjoying the tropical fun and sun...

As many of you may know, I recently returned from a spring break vacation with my kids. We went to the Caribbean island of St. Lucia, to the Windjammer Landing resort (www.windjammer-landing.com - HIGHLY recommended!). One of the improvements at the resort this year was WiFi in the lobby area. Now some might argue that WiFi in a tropical hotel is NOT an improvement - being out of touch is a GOOD thing! - but I will set that aside for now.

Lots of folks were lounging around the lobby at various times of day checking their email, surfing the web, and so and. Guess what? At least three quarters of the laptops in use were Macs! I was pleased and amazed all at the same time. I think it must speak well for the class of people who come to Windjammer Landing! One guy even had an older 12" G3/G4 (he wasn't sure which) - PERFECT size for travelling like that!

Anway, I conclude that before we go there again next year (we have a timeshare there) I have will get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro and bring it with me - ahhh, to be in touch again, if only for the odd email!

Reaction score
Thats crazy! To be honest, I never see many macs, unless I'm looking at Flickr!

I hope you enjoyed your trip. +Rep for a good post, and +Rep for paradise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Yeah I'd call WiFi an improvement. ^_^ Also sounds like a good Switcher hangout. Alright, we all go there next year. International M-F meet. :mac:

Reaction score
Oddly enough i recently visited Vieques which is an island off the coast of Puerto Rico and stayed at the Martineau resort and spa and the amazing thing was that they had WiFi everywhere i mean i was out on the beach relaxing in the sun more 200 ft away from the lobby and was surfing the web but yeah jsut thought i would share that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Sounds like a beautiful place to vacation. About the MacBooks, I was just reading in my Macworld mag that over the past 9 months more than 60% of Macs sold have been MacBooks. I think we'll see more and more of them out and about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I wish I could of gone of vacation. :(

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
My favorite coffee hangout you see some PCs in the daytime but at night its mostly mac. Little white apples glowing in the semi Darkness.

T

todd51

I went to a Barnes & Noble the other day and had some coffee in the shop, I counted 3 Macs and 4 PCs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
omg man, i went to the windjammer in st. lucia for 3 years in a row!! its awesome...so many geckos and frogs...and we trained the birds to eat out of our hands!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
narf1899, glad to find a fellow Windjammer Landing fan here on the site! When were you there last? The place is constantly being upgraded. You should head down and check it out again - you will be amazed!

I have been going for 4 years now, and it just gets better and better every year. They are pouring tons of money into it. As a timeshare owner now, I am really pleased - my investment is just going up and up!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macmini3399, also very glad to find a Bluenose'r here! I agree, NS is a fabulous place!

I am originally from Nova Scotia myself - born and raised in Halifax. I became part of the much decried "brain drain" to central Canada, going to university there and then working there for some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
*disclaimer - didnt read the whole thread so if this is completely off topic, sorry*

I am currently sitting at the Riverside Marriot Hotel in San Antonio, TX on my powerbook. Personally I have seen more people with macs down here than anywhere ever in my life before. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is a Technology Education Conference down here and Macs are beginning to be a big thing (visual communications, video editing, etc), but still I have saw alot of them. Anyway, off to the pool and later the bars on the Riverwalk, cya later...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
mac57, i was there last about...summer 2003 i think? my family is actually thinking about going back, its a truly amazing spot. if u ever want to check out the local areas, call up a taxi driver named J.J...(not sure his last name!)...hes really kind and is a non stop source of information...and the kids will love him...he drives a mini-van and theres enough room for 2 families if u want to go in groups. and if you ever have time, make sure to sit on the back porch thing of ur villa with a box of fruit loops...the birds are so friendly and beautiful! they wil eat them all from your hand (except for the purple fruit loos, which they return in exchange for a different color)
so anyway...if im ever down there, ill bring my macbook and PM you.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent narf1899. If I get a PM from you while there, we will have to have a mini M-F reunion, take a picture and post it! That would be cool.

I enjoyed your comments about J.J. I wonder if everyone there has a favorite driver? My family stumbled upon a wonderful fellow named Roger, who now actually has an affilication with the resort - they gave him a Windjammer name tag and all. He is friendly, outgoing and VERY cutomer oriented. He will do "personal shopper" type things for you - my brother (who also has a time share there) has Roger go out and buy groceries, beer, etc. and stock the villa the day before he arrives. Then he and Roger settle up as part of the fare. Roger drives a big, modern mini van, and has an exceptional skill at avoiding the numerous potholes in the road - always a smooth ride with Roger.

BTW, the roads are MUCH better now than when you were there last. This year, the International Cup of Cricket is being played in the Caribbean islands, with St. Lucia hosting a whole week of games. LOTS of new infrastructure went in to support this, including massive road work. The roads are much, much better these days.

Hope to see you at Windjammer some time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.