Viewing thumbnails similar to ACDSEE

Reaction score
I searched and could not find the answer to this specific question.

While most are asking for some editing capabilities, I need something which allows me to see thumbnails of pics in a directory, bring them to full size with the only editing that would be nice is rotation to proper orientation. Nothing else. iPhoto does not work because I am talking about 400-600 photos at a time and using them for only a couple of weeks. That is VERY cumbersome in iPhoto.

Oh yea, I have an Intel iMac.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I use Adobe Bridge as a file browser still.

Lightroom has a library function that would work, as does aperture. Both of these have free trials.

OP
M
Reaction score
Odin aa,

Those are both much higher end than I was looking for, but then again, I am looking at a lot of photos at a time. I will have to try them out.

Thanks,
mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
There is a little automator action that functions as a desktop viewer

1.Start Automator :From the libray window select iPhoto
2.Select ask for Photos
3. go to file and select save as Plug-in in Finder. Call it something like iPhoto browser. Then quit Automator
4. on your desktop right click/cmd click
5. Choose the automator
and selct the name you called the automator action

You then get a window which shows you your libarary without having to open iPhoto .Select cancel when done....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Check out CocoViewX - it reminds me of ACDSee quite a bit.

...and the best part is that it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Interesting find DubeDude - the browser certainly looks similar. What happens if you double click an image? Does it open full size? Can you then just press a forward arrow to move to the next image, and a backward arrow to move to the previous one, similar to what you could do in ACDSee? If so, this could be a real keeper! Else I guess I will stay with Xee, which does do this.

Reaction score
Interesting find DubeDude - the browser certainly looks similar. What happens if you double click an image? Does it open full size? Can you then just press a forward arrow to move to the next image, and a backward arrow to move to the previous one, similar to what you could do in ACDSee? If so, this could be a real keeper! Else I guess I will stay with Xee, which does do this.

Hi,

Yes to all your questions. Picture Arena works just like ACDSee. I have only had it installed for a couple of weeks but I use it every day and would really miss not having it now. Before I got to Picture Arena I tried about five other viewers but none gave me the ACDSee-type experience I was seeking. The moment I saw the Picture Arena interface I knew it was just what I was looking for. I really do recommend it.

I hope that helps.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks DubeDude!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice!

i've been using the finder/xee/adobe bridge combo too. i'll have to try picture arena!

M

MacHeadCase

Just an anecdote: I had my name in the credits a couple of years back. I was one of the beta testers and lent them a couple of photos for them to include the white balance and sharpness in the Canon EOS 300D I had back then. I had been offered a rebate by the developer but never got around to buying it, finding it was very slow and sluggish to navigate with Picture Arena.

Now that I have an iMac G5 maybe I should try it again.

Reaction score
Just an anecdote: I had my name in the credits a couple of years back. I was one of the beta testers and lent them a couple of photos for them to include the white balance and sharpness in the Canon EOS 300D I had back then. I had been offered a rebate by the developer but never got around to buying it, finding it was very slow and sluggish to navigate with Picture Arena.

Now that I have an iMac G5 maybe I should try it again.

I am using a G4 1.4 Mhz with 1.25 Gb of RAM and Picture Arena fairly zips along on my machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.