Updating the Graphics Card?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a noob here. I didn't know where to post this topic, so I posted it here. Sorry if I was supposed to post this somewhere else. Also, I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I'm interested in getting a iMac 20", or a MacBook Pro. I was just wondering whether I can upgrade the graphics card myself. I would like a 512MB graphics card, but they only offer a 256MB. What kind of slot does it use, and can I use any old graphics card? I don't know much about computers, so please use simple language. It would be much appreciated. I plan to play some games on this, and I plan to keep this computer for a few years. In a few years, I'm not sure if 256MB will be enough memory for a graphics card, and many of the newer games have support for the Macintosh, and if not, I can always get Boot Camp or Parallel Desktop. I looked at the specs, and I couldn't find if it uses an x16 PCI slot (not sure if that's what I'm thinking. It's the slot that many newer graphics cards use if I'm correct.) I would really appreciate the help. Thanks :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
the only computer you can upgrade the graphic card is the mac pro.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks, that was the exact answer I needed :-D So, I'm basically screwed for the time being if I want to use this for games over a long period of time. I guess I'll have to either dish out for the Mac Pro, or wait for a graphics upgrade. Oh well, I might as well wait for Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
if you plan on gaming, either get a pc and keep your mac for non-gaming or the lowest end mac pro will run around 2,200 dollars.

If you think about it a gaming pc will run about $800 - $1000. and then if you have an imac 20in thats another $1200. It will come out to be the same price as a mac pro and with the mac pro you will have quad core.

OP
T
Reaction score
I guess you're right. I'm just a kid, and I'm limited to only about $1500-$2,250, if I"m lucky. I can't get 2 PCs. There's no point. And the $1,000 "gaming PCs" are truly aweful for gaming. The main reason why I'm choosing getting a Mac is obviously the OS, and I get more bang for my buck. For example, a Quad Core 2.66Ghz QX6700 processor runs for about $1,000 alone. You can get a Mac Pro for $2,500 with the 2.66Ghz quad core processor, 1GB RAM, a 250GB HDD, a 256MB Graphics Card, a CD drive, etc. Most importantly, you get the proffesional build quality. You may be able to build a PC with those specs for around that price, or maybe a bit less or a bit more, if I'm correct, but you're not getting the professional build quality. Same with the iMac. I think that getting a Dell with those specs is like 1.5-2.0x the price. Plus, you can run Windows on it, and it's overall a great machine. I don't know if what I"m saying is accurate, but I feel a Mac may be the best choice. Also, many games are now running on both PC and Mac, so it may not be a prob. I appreciate your help though :-D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.