Windows under OS X

Reaction score
Hi all. New Mac owner.

I need to be able to run a few windows only programs on my new macbook. I know bootcamp is an option, but I was wondering if there were any good options that didn't require a reboot.

Wikipedia had a big comparison of virtual machines, but I hoping to get someone to let me know which ones are good.

Preference for free, please.

Reaction score
Hi all. New Mac owner.

I need to be able to run a few windows only programs on my new macbook. I know bootcamp is an option, but I was wondering if there were any good options that didn't require a reboot.

Wikipedia had a big comparison of virtual machines, but I hoping to get someone to let me know which ones are good.

Preference for free, please.

For the Intel Mac a program called Parallels works very well in running windows in a virtual machine and allows you to run both windows and os x at the same time. It isn't free but it is well worth its cost of $79...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I would personally get an external HDD to avoid windows contaminating my mac :D
and use bootcamp, dont forget when using windows your mac is vulnerable to all windows security flaws

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
dont forget when using windows your mac is vulnerable to all windows security flaws

Yes, thats true, but those vulnerablities will only affect your windows installation. OS X will be just fine.....

Anyways, i recommend using parallels, its the best virtual operating system program. It can also allow you to load from the Boot Camp partition without having to reboot. My favorite thing about Parallels is "Coherence Mode", which basically puts a Windows Taskbar on your MAC desktop, and lets your run your windows and Mac apps side by side and simultaneously, without keeping all your windows apps confined within a larger window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I would personally get an external HDD to avoid windows contaminating my mac :D
and use bootcamp, dont forget when using windows your mac is vulnerable to all windows security flaws

I thought of that myself, but you can't. In order to use BootCamp, Windows must be installed on your boot volume, although it will be on a different partition. Fortunately, Windows can't write to Mac, but you can write from your Mac drive to Windows. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I use Parallels and it works for me. I like coherence mode but I also use full-screen mode for when I really just need to focus completely on windows programs. It was worth the $$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I would run bootcamp if you're just going to run XP. Just my opinion tho. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Other than cohesion mode, what about parallels makes it worth $80 over the free solutions like MVware's Fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Well, for one, VMWare Fusion is Beta software and Parallels has been an official product for almost a year. That means production-grade support and quality of product.

I've been using Parallels for as long as I've had my MacBook and it's great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Cor 2 Duo 2G Ram/ 80GB HD White with SuperDrive
Parallels is great for me. I like being able to switch back and forth between OS X and WinXP seemlesly. Well worth the investment if you need Windows.

Reaction score
The main differences between bootcamp and parallels is that bootcamp runs nativly and parallels uses virtualization. Bootcamp has hardware video acceleration (needed for gaming), parallels does not. You mac needs to be rebooted when using bootcamp, but doesn't when parallels is used. More than likely parallels will work just find for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.