Considering Parallels

Reaction score
I've been thinking of buying Parallels Desktop for MAC so i can run a Linux distro on my external HDD (probably Ubuntu). I would use bootcamp, install xp..then linux..but i dont want XP anywhere this machine :)

So, i was just wondering, anyone who has a linux distro on an external drive and is using parallels what their experiences with it are. Such as speed etc. I've worked with Linux before and it's something i'd like to be able to use in the portable sense.

Any info would be great. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm having a hard time figuring out why you would need XP to run ubuntu... I run Ubuntu in parallels currently (No XP needed)... it's great! No video card support (at the moment) so no Beryl, but that will change soon.

411935159_7450bf99cd.jpg

Reaction score
I think in Boot Camp you need to install XP before you can install any flavor of Linux.

OP
B
Reaction score
yeh, I realise that..which is why i wanted to use parallels instead (no xp).

But not sure how well ubuntu would run in parallels from a USB drive (cant find firewire cable.. :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since Macs are now Intel based, Parallels runs operating systems at practically native speed. So Ubuntu would run pretty much as quickly as it would on a similarly equipped PC.

As for its speed while running from a USB drive, the only way you'll notice any problems is if you run programs that access the hard drive a lot. So for normal use, there's no performance hit by using an external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I recently purchased Parallels and installed Windows XP Pro so I could rung OneNote 2007, I guess my question is what is the point in having all of these OS's installed? Do they offer some programs that are special to them and no one else? Just curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Numerous reasons could be possible, if you have to run specific Windows/Linux only programs or if you have to test certain software on a different OS's.

I say numerous but there isn't they all come down to the same thing, it's either because you have no choice but to use these other OS's aswell and using this method is the most effective and cheapest or because you want to for personal preference.

I have started using Parallels again and now they have added Boot Camp Support it makes things so much easy for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
For me... XP is of no use whatsoever at home. The work I may do at home is on Office:Mac, so I have no real NEED for XP, it's on parallels because I was showing my father, and some friends how easy it was to have both. With Ubuntu, I don't NEED it for anything in particular, I just enjoy the ablility to "tinker" with the code deep in the system. With Ubuntu (linux) you can literally tweak/customize EVERYTHING. It's fun, and added knowledge.
I also have edubuntu (Education Ubuntu) on a separate user account for my kids... It does an amazing job of having kids friendly interactive games that truly teach little kids programming and the inner workings of the computer.... The best thing about both Ubuntu and Edubuntu (all linux really) is the openness of the code and the price (free).

My .02 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I recently purchased Parallels and installed Windows XP Pro so I could rung OneNote 2007, I guess my question is what is the point in having all of these OS's installed? Do they offer some programs that are special to them and no one else? Just curious.
I do support/consulting for Mac, Linux and Windows - including but limited to making them all play nice together, alternatives to Windows apps, etc. I can say and show a client, "okay this is how it works under Windows/Linux. HERE is how it's done on a Mac"
Also good for cross-platform web design, programming, etc.
There's also the "Because I Can" angle. :)
Oh, yeah...My office is Microsoft-centric - Remote Workplace is NOT Mac friendly (and neither is the IT manager).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.