Question about backing up

C

CaptainStandish

I never backed up on my mac before and I'd like to back up some things such as all my preferences and bookmarks etc... and some text based work that I've done. I know you can back up files using .mac but I don't have a .mac account and don't really want to spend a hundred bucks to get one. I looked it up in help and it said to use the disc utility, but first to make the file that I want to back up an archieve. I did that and it converted it into a zip file, but then I couldn't burn it anyway.

Any type of help would be appreciated!!

OP
C

Chamorro

What would you like to back up to? CD/DVD, have Disk Utility create a Disk Image & burn that w/ Toast (possibly Disk Copy if you have an internal burner).

If you use an HD to back up, download Carbon Copy Cloner...it'll copy all your hidden files too.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

Chamorro said:
What would you like to back up to? CD/DVD, have Disk Utility create a Disk Image & burn that w/ Toast (possibly Disk Copy if you have an internal burner).

If you use an HD to back up, download Carbon Copy Cloner...it'll copy all your hidden files too.

well i wanted to burn some files to a cd.

and is carbon copy cloner free, what about toast?

OP
O

onestep

CaptainStandish said:

You should try out www.spymac.com its free and it is a pretty cool as a .mac alternative.
I do have the .mac, but that is because I purchased it when I got my mac a few weeks ago.

However, I feel you should also backup to cd or dvd, you never can be too safe. then you have a local copy, and one away from home, in case the house burns down or something.

OP
F

flowctrl

CaptainStandish said:

You don't *need* 3rd party software to burn cds, if you are running OSX on a mac with a cd burner. If this is the case, I will refer you to the online help - click on your desktop, then pick "Mac help" from the help menu. Do a search for "burn cd". It explains how to burn CDs better than I can.

For more complete, disaster-recovery type of backups, check out the dump command. This is for advanced users, preferably ones with unix experience.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.