Review: Griffin ExpressCard/34 5-in-1 adapter

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One of the things I missed about my Windows laptops was the lack of a media reader on the MacBook Pro. I didn't want to have yet another peripheral hanging from and taking up a USB port, so I searched for an ExpressCard solution since I wasn't using that slot.

I picked up the Griffin ExpressCard/34 5-in-1 adapter from NewEgg for $20. It has the ability to read Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick, SD, MultiMediaCard and xD. In my case, I primarily needed it to read SD, as well as Transflash (micro SD) from my cell phone (this uses an SD adapter).

The Griffin adapter slots right into your ExpressCard slot and sits flush with the case of the MBP. It ejects from the slot by applying pressure to it. In turn, any card inserted into the reader also ejects by pushing on the card itself until it's flush with the reader. Surprisingly enough, this works very well and I haven't had a problem with the ExpressCard ejecting when trying to eject a card inserted into it.

When you plug in a memory card, it pops right up in finder as though it were any other disk or DMG file. If there's photos on it, iPhoto (or whatever your default photo app is), automatically opens and prompts you to import. It couldn't be any more seamless.

There are no drivers to install, it's as simple as plugging the card in.

Aside from having CompactFlash support (which I no longer use), I couldn't ask for anything more from this product. It's fairly inexpensive and works exactly as described. Highly Recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.